Chapter 4

I woke with a start, sitting up I observed my surroundings, where was I again? Oh yes, that’s right. I’m currently in bed with a man whom I hardly even know because he’s so paranoid about somebody killing me. Damn I wish I had of eaten more of my dinner. I pushed back the sheets while trying not to wake Daniel, the clock beside him said 2:46am. My stomach groaned slightly, I got out of bed and made my way to the door, obviously nothing in this place had been oiled since the 80’s for it made a noise like an angry cat. Daniel shifted a little and I waited for him to spring into action at the slightest noise, gun in hand, so much for the assassin part.

            I slid past the crack in the door and crept to the pantry. The only thing in there was a mini cornflakes box, and I had already conveniently drunk all the milk. Shit, well at least they won’t go soggy. As I was backing out of the pantry a hand wrapped its way around my mouth, the other around my middle pinning my arms to my sides. My attacker hauled me the rest of the way out of the pantry, I kicked out in every direction I could, either making enough noise to wake Daniel or hurting whoever was holding me so I could have a chance at getting away. Somebody else caught my legs and swiftly tied my ankles together. Once he was done, the first man quickly dived his hand into his pocket and took out a piece of cloth which he tied around my mouth. Now with his other hand free, he grabbed my wrists and yanked them behind my back, they were now also bound. I was screaming as loud as the gag would let me, why wasn’t Daniel hearing any of this?! He hoisted me onto his shoulder while the other man got the door for him.

            The night air bit at my bare arms and legs, I was shaking all over but it wasn’t from the cold. They took me out to a black van, the windows had also been painted over. Again the first man opened the doors to the back of the van for the one who was carrying me. He then placed me down on my back just inside the doors, here was my chance. I folded my legs against my chest and kicked out as hard as I could. My feet landed right between his legs. He doubled over and collapsed onto the ground, I tried to do the same to the other but he caught my kick, he then picked me up slightly and threw me the rest of the way into the van. My head hit the back of the driver’s seat hard. The one I had kicked hobbled around to the passenger side while the other closed the doors. So much for protecting me, I’ll most likely be dead before he even wakes up.

            "Hey you ok man?" said the first man after he had gotten in the driver’s seat and out onto the road.

            "I just got smashed in the fucking balls! How do you think I’m fucking g-?!" there was a shower of glass, the van fishtailed, the one who was driving seemed to of passed out, the other was screaming before he too slumped onto the dashboard. I noticed some liquid on the windshield, some, red liquid...?

            The van rolled onto its side, everything was silent, neither of them were moving. Somebody was yanking on the back doors of the van, it finally gave way.

            "Miss me?" he looked somewhat out of breath but he was still smiling. Daniel moved towards me and picked me up. Cradling me in his arms, he made his way back to the inn room. I started softly sobbing into his bare chest.

                                                                                         ***

            I was still shaking and had tears in my eyes when he untied me.

            "You ok? You look a little, I dunno, like you’re going to puke or something." he moved closer to me and started rubbing my shoulders.

            "What, how, when, this just doesn’t make sense." I managed to get out.

            "With what?"

            "Well, for starters, why didn’t you wake up when they came in? Or at least when I was kicking around and screaming?"

            "Ah, well, um, I’m kind of a heavy sleeper." he said with a sheepish grin.

            "As if you slept through that!"

            "Well, maybe I had my headphones in while I went to sleep..." I stared at him, mouth slightly open, "I happened to pack it so..." I stood up and stepped slightly away from him.

            "ARE YOU FRIKEN KIDDING ME?! I could have died! And all because you were listening to music?!" there was no way in hell that I was going to survive with teenage MacGyver with me.

            "I didn’t think that they would find us that quick!"

            "That’s right, you don’t think, you never think!!" I could feel myself getting red in the face.

            "I still saved you didn’t I? That should count for something!" he yelled back at me.

            "Shut up, you’ll wake everyone up."

            "You started yelling first!"

            "You yelled back!" he ran his fingers through his hair in frustration, displacing the fringe that usually covered half his face.

            "Look," he faltered "I, I’m trying to try my best here. And besides, this is a whorehouse so no one is going to come running if they hear us yelling." he moved towards the bedroom door, "We should get going now, I’m pretty sure someone will notice an upturned van with two dead guys in it."

            "Oh God, you-" he muttered the word shit under his breath. "It was all over the windscreen!"

            "Well that’s what happens when you put a bullet in someone’s head. And don’t worry, I used a silencing thingy, so no one heard it."

            "You’re telling me to not worry about that?!" I felt the bile rise in my throat but I quickly forced it back down.

            "...Yes. Now come on, hurry up and get ready, we’ll leave in five minutes."

            "Aren’t you going to get dressed?" he had slipped on a pair of jeans when we first came back in, but never bothered putting on a shirt.

            "Why, you getting too excited?" he leaned against the door frame to the bedroom, arms folded and that idiotic grin playing on his lips again.

            "Stop being such a pig."

            "A pig does not look this good in denim." And with that, he turned around and started making the bed.