Safe and Sound (Tribute to the MH17)

(Inspired by Safe and Sound - Taylor Swift Ft. The Civil Wars)

(Song in media section >)

(This is a tribute to the MH17 crash. The story is pure fiction)

"Shut up!" I yelled. "I don't want to hear anymore excuses."

"Baby," David said as he tried to take my hand. I flinched and pushed him away. "I'm sorry but I have to go on this trip."

I backed away from him as I held Caroline tight in my arms. "You promised that we would go back to Toronto for Summer with Caroline and the boys," I said. "The boys were looking forward for this trip."

He brushed his hair backwards. "I'm sorry but the company needs me to be in Malaysia for a sudden meeting," he said. "There's nothing I can do."

"It's always like this!" I yelled. "Why?"

"I'm sorry," he said, looking down at his feet. "I promise I'll make it up to you."

I turned away and sat down on the sofa in the living room. I didn't want him to explain himself anymore. We planned this trip back in December because we couldn't go back to Canada for Christmas. We stayed in Netherlands due to another one of David many excuses and now, he was making another excuse.

I heard the sound of luggage rolling down the stairs and into the living room. He had a bright, yellow distinct roller-bag on his side as he stood by the doorway. He looked over at me and I immediately looked away to avoid his gaze.

"Boys!" he yelled into the house. "I'm leaving!"

"What?" I heard one of the boys exclaim and then the sounds of running down the stairs from their room.

"I thought we were going to Canada," Jacob said as he ran towards his father with Adrien following closely behind him.

David got down to their level and saw them face to face. The twins looked exactly alike but a father could always tell which was which.

"Jacob, we're going to have to postpone it till later in the Summer," he said.

"Awww," they both said in unison. David could see that he had disappointed his sons by breaking another promise.

"I promise we will go to Canada when I get back from Malaysia," he said as he pulled them both into his arms.

"Promise?" Adrian asked. "Like actually promise without breaking it?"

"I promise," David replied and ended with a smile. "Now run along now."

The boys were released from their father's hug as they scrambled up the stairs and back into their room.

David walked over to me and kissed baby Caroline on the head and kissed mine too.

"I promise to make it back and we'll go to Canada like we promised," he whispered as he held me tight.

I looked away. "If you make it back," I said coldly. "Somehow you're going to makeup a whole new excuse."

"Hey," he said sternly. "A promise is a promise and I intend to keep this one."

"Whatever," I replied as he walked towards the door. I heard the opening of the door.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you, too," I mumbled before hearing the sound of the door shutting. I put my hand on my cheek and shut my eyes as I began to drift off into a deep slumber.

"Mom!" a voice yelled as my body awoken from vigorous shaking. My eyes opened and I saw Jacob and Adrian standing in front of me with a face consumed with terror.

"What's wrong?" I immediately asked, feeling nervous. The boys were never like this.

"We were flipping channels on the tv," Jacob said. "Then we came to the news channel."

"Yes?" I asked.

"You have to come in to see this," Jacob said as he pulls me into their room.

I follow them in and immediately saw the reporter on the television. She was talking about a plane that had blown up after it was shot by a ground to air missile.

"What airline was dad on?" Adrien asked.

"I don't know," I replied as my eyes grew wide. I prayed in my mind that David wasn't on the Malaysia Airlines flight the reporter was talking about.

The news report flashes to the site of the crash. The plane was in a million pieces, the grass was burnt out, bodies were seen but the cameras quickly move away from them, and bags were scattered everywhere.

All of a sudden, Adrien lets out a huge gasp causing me to turn to him. "Mom!" he yells as he pointed. "Is that dad's bag?"

I look close at the tv and sure enough a distint yellow bag was among many of the scattered bags. "No, it can't be," I whispered to myself.

I grab the phone in my pocket and dialled David's number. His phone was obviously off. I dialled a different number, the Malaysia Airlines hotline that was shown on the bottom screen of the tv, and waited for an answer. A woman picked up and I frantically asked for the passenger list. When the woman said his name, I fell to the ground, knees first.

I felt broken as if I was the plane that had blown up into a million pieces.

Adrien and Jacob huddled around me with their arms holding me tight. Their faces were terrified and I couldn't keep my feelings inside. I screamed, I cried but nothing would numb the pain. David was gone and there was nothing I could do.