My First Kiss (and Other Summer Disasters) by @Monrosey

Title: My First Kiss (and Other Summer Disasters)

Author: Monrosey

Genre: Teen Fiction

Summary: Fifteen-year-old dyslexic Gwen Lincoln has three goals before sophomore year begins: experience her first kiss; find a way to get rid of her chipmunk cheeks once and for all; and her most important mission, forget about the separation of her parents, something she has yet to mention to her free-spirited, yet slightly unstable, best friend Hartley MacKenna, whose house she's visiting in New Orleans during summer break.

With Hartley taking charge of her ambitious to-do list, Gwen's summer of change begins, but nothing prepares her for meeting Sullivan "Sully" Reed, the impossibly cute soccer player next door, who to her utter disbelief, asks her on a date. 

 Caught between living her life and trying to run away from it, Gwen tentatively conforms to Hartley's adventure-seeking world. From lip-syncing on stage at a transvestite club, having their tarot cards read by a blind Haitian psychic, ghost-hunting at an abandoned plantation or spending the day volunteering at a shelter for homeless teens, Gwen's longing to embrace the sun-kissed wetlands of Louisiana and broaden her previously limited horizons is coming true. But when she discovers the devastating secret her friends have been hiding-a secret that could mean the difference between life and death-she must learn to face her own demons (with a little guidance from the big-hearted Creole drag queen down the street) or surrender herself to a tragic reality.

Click external link for story