CHAPTER FOUR - THE SACRIFICE (Part 8)

CHAPTER FOUR – THE SACRIFICE

(Part 8)

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

The camp floor glimmered red with the blood of the innocents.

Rafe stood there, gasping for breath, as he regained human form and wiped the blood from his mouth. ‘Ahhh – and here comes my next kill!’ he said as he kicked Rohan’s severed body to one side.

Unable to comprehend what I could see, I fell to my knees and wiped Rohan’s face in disbelief. ‘I’ll give you a few moments. Go on then…’ Rafe mocked as he whistled a tune, dancing in a circle, kicking the dead bodies in his path. The scarlet tears rolled down my face and the anger began to boil my blood.

Seeing his motionless body, my world shattered into pieces around me. The sounds of the forest disappeared and a deafening silence filled the air.

The landscape, covered in dead bodies, blurred into one large smudge of blackness. This empty space was once filled with the laughter and joy of the followers and children of the camp. The vibrant colours of red, green, orange and white, that once made the camp alive and energetic, had vanished – in their place was a stark, dark, uninhabitable area.

I let out a shriek that shook the forest for miles around, leaving the trees uprooted. The camp shook, as the earth rocked on its axis, and Rafe stopped dancing.

Asabi ran back but stopped when she saw the horrific scene. ‘ROHAN!’ she screamed as she joined me on her knees. ‘Please come with us now, Faith,’ she begged but I was no longer in a logical state.

My mind was no longer my own as I tried to comprehend the extent of what had happened. I couldn’t take it in; I refused to believe he was no longer with me! ‘He can’t be gone! He said we would always be together! I can’t do this alone, not without him! I can’t be alone! I have nothing!’ I shrieked as I picked up Rohan’s corpse and cradled his head in my arms.

Tears flowed from my eyes uncontrollably. Screams of pain rocked the forest and left their mark - animals evacuated the polluted area and the sky clouded over as darkness took over, in what was a once cloudless day.

‘What’s going on?!’ Rafe shouted as he looked around, appearing less confident all of a sudden.

Running towards the open section in the fence, a black mist surrounded me and I lifted my hand. The once broken fence began fixing itself as Rafe ducked and dived to avoid the flying pieces of wood. ‘And where are you going?’ I asked calmly as I stood up, regarded him with death in my eyes and dusted myself down.

He looked at my suddenly composed self and inspected closer. ‘W-what happened to your face?’ he asked, shocked at the sight. I tilted my head to a broken mirror beside me to reveal my new appearance: jet black, blood-craving eyes and milky white skin.

He walked towards me slowly, seemingly having regained his confidence. ‘So the little witch is ready to fight, is she?’ he attempted to put on a brave face, though, as he continued to look for an escape route.