Would you rather...

"Mr. Walters."

I sighed in my sleep and rolled my head along my forearm, away from the noise.

"Mr. Walters?"

I didn't want to wake up. I was exhausted. Due to a copious amount of video-game playing last night, I'd only gotten two and a half hours of sleep.

"James!"

The combination of the female voice beside my ear and the small hand shaking my shoulder reminded me of my mother.

"I'm sorry!" I yelped, jerking upright in my desk. My eyes darted around the room; breathing heavily, heart pounding with fear. Fear that my mom was going to kick my butt for not getting up.

"That's quite alright, James. Are you feeling okay? Would you like to go to the nurse?"

My roving eyes gradually acknowledged that it was my English teacher who was waking me up, not my mother.

"N-no. I'm fine. Sorry, again!" I yelped, grabbing my bag and sprinting to the door. I was going to be late for my next class, if I didn't hurry.

I bumped into Christina and Daniel, my best-friends, in the hall.

"Whoa, where's the fire?" Daniel asked, placing a calming hand on my shoulder.

"Wha?" I said, my brain still befuddled by sleep.

"Nothing, little man. C'mon. Let's get you to class." I let Daniel and all of his six-foot four, basketball playing glory, lead me to the door of our history class. I had to admit to being a little grateful, because knowing how frazzled my brain got when I had just woken up, I would've ended up somewhere at the opposite side of the building without him and Chris' help. Plus we were meeting our new history teacher for the first time today - wouldn't want to make a bad first impression.

As if reading my thoughts, Daniel piped up; "Apparently, he's nice and funny-"

"And hot," Chris finished, wistfully.

Daniel glared at her. Partly because she'd ruined his gossip; partly because he had a monster crush on her. If you went into any room in the school and yelled "Who does Daniel Davis love?" I could say with reasonable certainty that you would get a resounding "Christina Parkers" in reply. In fact, this was a theory I had tested out many times, much to Danny's chagrin.

Many, many times.

"Don't even think about it,” he muttered, glaring at me suspiciously.

Dang, he knew me well.

"Wouldn't dream of it," I chirped back innocently, waltzing into class and taking my seat, Daniel and Chris following suit. 

"I'm watching you," he mouthed, and proceeded to do just that, until the classroom door closed, drawing everybody's attention to the twenty-something year old man standing at the teacher's desk.

Correction: the hot twenty-something year old man standing at the teacher's desk.

Chris was right. He was tall, blonde and tanned. Not my type, though. He was too built and too smug and sporty-looking for my taste.

Didn't stop me from staring at him from the rest of class, though.

.

"Please Chris? Just one euro?" I begged, throwing my torso across the school's picnic table forlornly.

"Nope. Not happening," she replied, nonchalantly (heartlessly, in my opinion).

Pip (short - no pun intended - for Pipsqueak. I hadn't given him the nickname, but had to admit that it suited him. He was two years younger than me and three inches shorter than Christina. i.e. a midget) slid his food-tray onto the table and his butt onto the bench beside me. "Why do you need a euro?"