'and keep quiet'

"To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves."

-Federico García Lorca

Homecoming fell on Halloween, which fell on a Friday. The school was a live wire that week, humming with energy and spirit. All the girls became cheerleaders and all the guys became football players - and the actual football players and cheerleaders became gods. The team had done exceptionally well thus far in the season - loss-less - and everyone was getting amped-up for the Friday game, which was going to be the toughest yet. The local news was even sending someone out to cover it...which is what happens when the crime rate is low because it's too cold outside for any serious misconduct. 

There were streamers down the halls, foam fingers, posters, and the artsy kids had made ferocious Chinese-inspired dragon masks which floated around the student-body. Monday to Friday was lathered in school spirit and Haven Knoll Dragon Pride. 

Mostly though, Dawson was nearly unreachable. A metaphorical chariot had taken him to an insurmountable place which was jockeyed by his hideous type A personality. He basked in the mellow light of his achievements. 'How do you do it all Dawson? One of the top students in the class - first string in the counties - states! - best football team - and a promotion at work on top of all of that.' People practically drooled. 

They stood in the cold on the Thursday evening of that week at the base of the bleachers where swarms of students and faculty and parents were negotiating spaces to watch the pep-rally. There was a roar of constant noise, like in the cafeteria at lunch, and the occasional scream or cheer or feedback from microphones which were set up on the football fields. The floodlights over the stadium started turning on, even though it wasn't dark enough for them yet, but with the blue of the setting sun behind miles of clouds and gray of the late-October air - the added white light gave the space a bizarre cast which in turn gave Cole the shakes.  

He didn't say anything as a flock of underclassmen in navy and gold paint talked to Dawson, gazing at him as if he held the answers to all life's questions and queries. They weren't being annoying - at least no more annoying than everyone else - they were just there, and for whatever reason it irritated Cole. Cole who'd been placed on the back-burned all week in favor of the fame that came with being a 'sportsy guru'.

"Are you worried at all? I know Underwood had an awesome year last year at Kellan, and he's a Senior too so he'll definitely be out for blood tomorrow." One of the Sophomores was saying, a dark-haired pimply-faced kid who was wearing a scarf and a brown-plaid vest like they were at a fucking 1972 Beatles concert.

Dawson started in about strategies and play-books and the works. Cole looked up at the stands which were filling-up rapidly. He saw Dawsons parents towards the top left and David standing in front of them in his basketball jersey from last year, since they wouldn't get their new ones until early December. They were talking about something, the family, laughing and Mr Reed slapped David on the arm in that dad kind of way. 

"I'm gonna go sit down." Cole stated cutting off Sonny mid-sentence. The group turned to look at him, surprised almost as if they were just noticing him there, hiding in Dawsons shadow. 

"Where at?" Dawson asked turning to face him. The wind was picking up and blowing his coppery hair vertical on one side. He had his Varsity jersey pulled over a stark white long sleeve shirt and creased jeans that tapered down to his boots. A picture of someone perfectly put together. Disgustingly organized, and devastatingly handsome. 

Cole looked towards the bottom of the bleachers closer to the field where Holly sat with a band of funky-looking kids holding up green-club signs with little Dragons in the corners because even though they were all-green all the time, they still had school-spirit. "With Holly."