Chapter 17

The days that followed were exceptional. We spent our days running the kitchen and our nights, well the nights were simply more wonderful. I told Sadie about Amber and she, in turn, told me about Richard. It was uncomfortable at first, but that faded quickly. We learned to share each other's pasts. With the IRS and class action in the rearview mirror, it made everything easier. Well, almost everything. Sadie and I took a risk with Houser after Bob "Leach" Townsend got back to me with the information I asked him to find.

I sat down with Houser. I put a brownie on his tray and he smiled. I did not. Sadie sat down next to me and did the same. Houser looked up at our serious faces, and I could see he felt uncomfortable.

"I found your niece," I said quietly. Houser lost his smile and his eyes swelled. He almost got up to leave. Sadie covered his hand with hers and held him there. I could see him suffering and wondered if we had chosen wrong.

"She wants to see you," Sadie said gripping his hand. I could see the panic in Houser's eyes.

"She'll hate me," Houser stuttered, "I couldn't...I have to go." Houser stood, Sadie held his hand and stood with him. I was afraid he would leave and never come back.

"Please don't leave," Sadie pleaded.

"I owe you, Houser," I said while I remained seated, "you can't live without helping each other out here." I repeated his words to him. Some of the first he told me after yanking me from the water. Sadie gently pulled him back to his seat. His hands were shaking.

"You don't understand," Houser said, "I couldn't...I left her." I understood more than he knew, Bob saw to that. His sister died, then he lost his job. His world collapsed in on him.

"You left me with the Washingtons," a soft voice behind him said, "they are a wonderful family." Houser turned quickly, his eyes meeting his niece's.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Houser cried. Sadie had to let go of his hand. He rose and I thought he was going to run. Natalie Washington smiled at her uncle.

"Forgiven," Natalie said softly, "for what, I don't know, but you're forgiven." She took Houser's hand in hers. "Can you tell me about my mother?" Houser's eyes were tearing and he wiped them on his sleeve.

"Yes," Houser choked out.

"No one else can," Natalie said, "you're my only link to her. Can we just sit and talk?"

Houser sat, and Sadie and I drifted away. We watched as Natalie and Houser talked. His smile began to appear as the conversation continued. I wrapped my arm around Sadie and pulled her close.

"That went better than I expected," I said, "maybe she can talk him into going to a dentist." Sadie smiled up at me.

"I love that you did that." Sadie's eyes told me she loved more than what I did. It was the middle of dinner, the dining room was full with more hungry coming in. It was not the place, but it was the time.

"I love you," I said. I had thought it, and I had shown it. Now I said it without fear or guilt.