Chapter 10

I woke to a pounding sound. I had fallen asleep, my head pillowed in my arms on the table. I wiped the drool from my lips and went to open the door. An elderly gentleman, one I had seen eat often, was there. I remembered his name as the dream fog cleared.

"Sadie said to be here at 9," Ralph said, rather surprised I wasn't Sadie.

"Come in and let's get started." I opened the door wider and stepped aside. I was worried about Sadie. It wasn't like her to let anything slide. I got Ralph into the shower room and went to check on Sadie.

I found her back at the desk, staring at the lawsuit. There were black circles around her eyes. I was thankful there weren't any tears. She must have run out last night.

"Ralph is here," I said as business-like as I could. Sadie looked up at me with a forlorn expression etching its grooves into her smooth face.

"Does it matter?"

"Yes," I responded. I had a litany of reasons to go on and knew they would fall on deaf ears. Short and simple was the only good response.

"They are destroying me." I saw defeat in Sadie's eyes.

"The banquet will be next," I said it firmly. I didn't want to sugar coat it. Sadie's eyes widened with fear.

"It will bankrupt the Kitchen," Sadie said. I sat down on the cot as I watched her face go ashen.

"I won't let that happen." There was determination in my voice, hopefully something Sadie could latch onto.

"I don't think we can stop these people," Sadie said, holding up the stack of papers. I gave her a confident smile. The smile held more confidence than I felt, but she needed more.

"No one's going hungry, Sadie. I need to speak to some old friends to see if we can't turn this around." I pulled the donor book out again and turned to the page with Amber's name and pointed at it. "She thought this place was worth funding. I promise you, her donation won't go to waste. Ever." Sadie's face firmed up.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Make sure you open at 4." I needed to handle this alone. "And don't lose heart. It's going to be a very long week. Let me take care of the rest." Sadie stood up and nodded.

"I'll make sure we stay open," Sadie said, "whatever happens, thank you for trying." She moved past me quickly. Her determination had returned, but not her confidence. I felt a little sorry for Ralph; he was bound to catch the brunt of her frustration. I sat down and made the first call.

"Herzog and Associates, this is Karen may I help you?" the receptionist greeted me. I knew Karen, but I really didn't want to explain myself.

"Doug Herzog, please," I said, trying to jump past the hurdle.

"Mr. Herzog is busy right now, would you like to leave a message?" It was bite the bullet time. I took a deep breath.

"Karen, it's David Thaxton. I really need to speak with Doug," I said it quickly, hoping she would just let me through without an interrogation. No such luck.

"David, oh my god, are you alright?" There was concern in her voice that exceeded the relationship we'd had in the past. I guess notoriety does that to a person.

"I'm fine Karen. It's really important that I speak with Doug," The secret was out. I needed to move forward at a quick pace now.

"Alright, I'll see if I can't get him out of the meeting. Hold on a minute," Karen said, then added, "Amber was right, you sing wonderfully." I felt my throat knot a bit. I had forgotten she had known Amber. The two would talk during the company Christmas parties. I just sighed a "thank you" and waited for Doug.