Chapter Three: A Taste of Daybreak

Thursday

School went by a breeze yesterday, and all I've been doing was staring at Charlotte and trying to muster up the courage, once again, to talk to her and I still couldn't do it. I keep seeing her slip through Recess, running off somewhere and not showing up until recess is over.

''Don't you feel curious?'' I poked Benson on the arm.

''About what?'' Benson said, swatting my hand away.

''About her of course. She hardly speaks, she doesn't have friends and you'd practically forget about her unless you paid attention.''

''Not interested.'' Benson tried to go back to sleep. Of course he'd say that.

I smacked his head with a rolled up answer script. ''Well I am. I want to know more about her,''

''Ask her,'' He rolled his eyes.

''But she won't even look at me, she clearly doesn't want to talk to me.'' I pouted and sunk down further onto my seat.

''What's the point of being friends with her then?'' He raised his eyebrows. My thoughts exactly!

''I know she's worth it. I just want to find out more about her. She's just so mysterious, like an unsolved puzzled.''

''You're so melodramatic.'' He groaned.

''C'mon, you can't say that she isn't a little bit mysterious. I know you're curious about her as much as I am.''

''No.'' He crosses his arms.

''If only I found a way to know more about her...'' I placed my fingers against my temple and closed my eyes in concentration.

''You'd probably have to be Sherlock Homes for that.'' Sherlock homes... mystery... office...break in...answers.

''I got it.'' I jumped up, startling him. ''I found a way to get the answers.''

''Don't tell me that you're thinking of that again.''

''Benson, get your things packed tonight because we're going to go on a Sherlock and Watson chronicle adventure.''

***

''Psst, Benson... you there?'' Toss. Bonk.

''Benson.'' Bonk.

''Hey benny boy, I told you I'd be here at 3am here I am!'' Toss.

''BEN!'' I howled. I threw another pebble at his window.

Just then his window rolled up. ''Keep it down; my mom might still be awake.'' He whisper-yelled.

''Sorry, are you done?'' I asked impatiently.

''Yeah, let me get down.'' He climbed over his window and slid down his roof to the edge until he jumped on a nearby branch and scrambled his way down through the trunk.

''Hope you got your things ready.''

''Yeah, whatever man, let's go, my sisters might see me.'' We dashed off into night's chilly air. Benson had parked his car away on another street so that we could avoid opening the garage.

''Didn't your sisters notice your car was missing?"

''I told them that I needed some repairs and that I had to leave it with the mechanics for the night."

''That explains it.'' I said. He slid into the driver's seat while I got the shotgun. He jammed the keys into ignition and drove through the streets to our high school.