7. "the fuck? who are you?"

VANESSA + JACKSON/SCOTT.

//

This wasn't a normal day.

Vanessa had just ended her shift at her work, ready to go home and relax, when she heard the low growl stalking her. Of course the alpha had to target her now. The weird thing was that it wasn't nighttime. It was late afternoon, around the time when Scott goes home from school, when her walking turned into running. She and Derek had only been hunting for it at night but knowing now that it could be out during the day, she'd definitelt drag him to try and find it while everyone was at school.

Too late she realized that the alpha was cornering her and forcing her to run toward the school. Luckily she could hear another pair of footsteps chasing after them, and Derek's scent soon reached her. But it was too late, because once they reached the school, the alpha dashed at her with all its strength, causing her to nearly fly through the doors, across the nearest hall, sliding down on the floor and into the wall. With a knee and a fist against the floor, Vanessa bared her fangs and was ready to run out of there and toward the alpha when she realized it was gone. Derek stood a few meters away from the doors with a puzzled look on his face and he ended up shrugging.

"I hate this thing." She muttered, loud and low enough for only him to hear.

"Feels like old times." Derek weakly smiled as he remembered the times they used to race in the woods at night and occasionally fight some of their werewolf friends playfully.

"Except now I'm running for my life." She retorted while she got up and dusted her shirt off. Thankfully, she couldn't spot that many students and barely anyone had even noticed her.

"I'll see you tonight." Derek chuckled before he disappeared, making her roll her eyes with a stupid smile. Why couldn't he just walk away like a normal person?"

"Wow. Who are you?" A male voice said from behind her. Vanessa hadn't even looked at this boy but she could already tell he was cocky and way too over-confident. He said the words as if he owned the building mixed with seeing someone incredibly hot — and not in the flattering good way.

"The fuck. Who are you?" She turned around and raised her eyebrows at the boy. He was good looking, she could give him that. Though it was evident he already knew it.

"I'm Jackson." The guy folded his arms together and eyed her quickly. "Whittemore."

"I really don't care." She said neutrally, holding back a laugh over how short he was, seeming even shorter since she was tall enough already and wearing high heels. "What?" He frowned and she noticed that he looked genuinely surprised and almost offended. Wow.

"You don't go here, do you? You look older and more mature. And hot."

"Oh gods, Jackson, stop. Please. I'm not here to flirt with high school boys. I'm almost ten years older than you. I'm sure there's someone here who'd die to be your girlfriend." She placed her fingers underneath his chin and her thumb against his cheek to make him listen. "Now, I have more important things to do."

"Please marry me."

"Ugh." Vanessa threw her head back while rolling her eyes and placed her hands on her hips. That's when she saw a familiar face approach them.

"Hey, Vee, what are you doing here?" Scott asked with a cute smile. Then he realized Jackson stood there.

"Wait, you two know each other?"

"She's my cousin. Why?" Scott answered with an empty expression.

"You know I've always loved you, right Scott? Because I never meant anything bad I ever said to you or about you. You know that right? You're my dude, my–" Jackson started, but was cut off by Scott literally putting a hand against Jackson's face to shut him up.

"Seriously, why are you here?" Scott asked his cousin. "And Jackson, you've got something on your face. Not my hand." He added as he removed his hand.

Jackson wiped away something with his thumb which apparently was fresh food because he put it in his mouth and shortly sucked on his thumb with a smirk. Scott raised one eyebrow in judgement and turned his head to look at Vanessa while she lightly pouted with her lips in shock, looked down at the floor and then up at Jackson again.

"I'll tell you later." Vanessa chuckled and ruffled Scott's hair. "You really need to get a haircut. And before I go..." She flipped some hair behind her shouder and decided to mess with this Jackson kid, partly because his attempt at seduction was awful.

"Vee...?"

Vanessa turned her attention to Jackson instead, watching him gulp while she tried to look casually seductive. It was her talent now — driving guys nuts by looking at them with a sexy, crooked smirk and sultry eyes. As she carefully took a step closer, Jackson took one back and gazed intensely at her. Without realizing it himself, he let her back him up against the locker and place her hand by his chin and cheek like earlier, but in a more intimite way this time.

"Men are so easy to fool. I'll see you around." She snorted before turning her heels and leaving them both stunned.