The Ride

Photo credit: Olan L

Photo credit: Olan L. Smith

The Ride

©July 2014, Olan L. Smith

The three close friends sit in the lobby in deep discussion.  "Alma, this is going to be a trip of a lifetime.  It's the scariest ride ever!" Rick says with enthusiasm.

Jennifer adds.  "Yes, my cousin went on a ride for 120 rotations! He said it was thrilling and heartbreaking at the same time...can you imagine 120 cycles...that's got to be one of the longest rides ever."

Alma speaks with some concern, "I'm not sure about this, guys, you know I've never been on one of these rides before, and quite frankly I don't see the use of them.  However, since you have purchased my ticket I guess I will accept the gift honorably.  How long must I stay on this contraption?"

Rick replies, "Oh, Alma, I am so pleased you are going with us.  You can get off the ride anytime, but please wait until we all find each other, after all there are many co-riders and we will most certainly be separated on insertion."

"That the fun of it, Alma." Exclaims Jennifer.  Once the adventure begins, it is each person for themselves, and it is so real you think every moment is life or death.  Then, when you find someone you know from before the ride, bam!  Deja-Vu.  I remember one particular trip where I was so important that everyone looked up to me, and the next I was the lowest of the low; you never know what surprises the trip brings."

Rick adds, "Alma, don't be concerned.  It is a short trip actually, although it seems long at the time.  In our time, it only lasts a few moments, and then you are back to your original self.  Everything you do is time delayed, the real you knows exactly what is going to happen before it happens, and you can abort at any moment."

"I have heard from some that you are unaware of yourself on this ride, and that you only realize what happens when the trip is over." Alma half states, and half inquires.

"That is true, Alma.  You forget all about this realm and this existence, and you get to test your mettle.  Imagine living an existence untested and unproven.  That is what it is like for those who have not taken one of these rides."  Jennifer's statement seems a bit personal, as Alma is the only unproved soul among them. 

Alma holds back her contempt for her friend as she clutches her ticket, and raising it up she examines it.  On the front of the rectangular ticket it says, "One round-trip on Earth, no refunds.  Your choice of species to indwell for the duration:  Human."

Photo credit: Olan L

Photo credit: Olan L. Smith.