CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Charles

It was half an hour after Alina returned to her room that Christian knocked on the door. He opened and entered without waiting for an invitation, leaving the door open behind him to show William standing in the hallway.

"It was one of ours," he said monotonously without any preamble.

Alina stopped packing her things into her bag. Mary had come to help when she had returned to her room and continued without pause.

"How?" She asked.

"He must have somehow made it onto the lands." Christian shook his head angrily. "It's not the first time someone has. The way is lit every full moon."

"I have to go to him."

"You do."

His face was a mask of stone as Alina walked over to him. She ignored their company and lifted her hand to his face. He looked down at her, but it was almost as though he was looking through her.

"I will be back," she assured him. "I am going to get Charles and we will both be back. Then, once he is settled and his situation is better we will get married."

He nodded, one sharp nod. She pulled him down until their foreheads touched and she looked him directly in the eye.

"I promise you," she whispered and then kissed him tenderly.

When they pulled away he took a step back.

"William is going to accompany you as far as he can, to the border," Christian explained. "Then he is going to camp there until you return."

"Oh great," Alina said chirpily. "William and I are best friends, we are going to have a great time."

"He is the best warrior here, second only to me."

Alina shot him a look and moved to take her pack from Mary, who had just finished tying it up.

"Thank you, Mary."

"You just be careful and come back in one piece. And soon. Don't leave us waiting on you, you'll have the whole castle sick with worry." Mary pulled Alina into a tight embrace.

"I'll be back as soon as humanly possible," Alina promised.

Alina reached out to grab the pack off the bed. Christian grabbed it before she could and tossed it at William who grunted at the impact, then threw it over his shoulder.

"I can carry that," Alina argued.

"Not negotiable." Christian stopped her short. "He can carry it as far as he can. You'll still have to carry it across the border and the trek back to your family home. If we had horses, I would send one with you."

"I'll be fine, Christian."

"I had Mary add coins to your sack," he continued as though she hadn't spoken. "So you can secure lodgings, travel, food and anything else you might need."

"Christian-"

"And you'll have to trek back if you bring Charles, which you should if you want him to live."

"Christian-"

"Because the ring only works for one person. Surely your father will provide transport, I gave him enough money to afford a whole army of horses-"

"Christian."

He stopped and looked down at his firefly as she glowed and looked up at him.

"I love you. I will be back."

He was taken aback for a moment. Then his face melted into the tenderest look she had seen him have and he looked sadly at her.

"I love you too."