CHAPTER SIX - A New Friend

The following day, Alina had grown bored of the walls of her own room well before noon.  The Lord had told her she was free to roam around the castle and the grounds. But, perhaps with her impertinence last night he had decided instead to keep her locked within her rooms.  She didn't doubt someone as brash and rude as he would go back on his word.

She walked over to the door, nervous to try the handle and find it locked.  Steeling herself, she reached out and found that the knob turned easily. A breath of relief shot out of her that she hadn't even realized she was holding.

Exiting her room, she looked down the corridor on either end, determining which way to go.  She had studied the hurried map she had drawn out yesterday, but had no real destination in mind.

She felt a strange, yearning tug to go to the right. Similar to the feeling she had when first meeting the lord of the manor. Steadfastly ignoring it, she turned to her left and made her way through the castle corridors.

People milled about doing various activities and chatting with each other. However, Alina noted that when she walked by that they hushed and stared at her. Some even bowed a little.  Feeling like an animal on display, she hastily made her way towards the front of the castle and out the doors.

Once outside, Alina felt free. Although she knew there was a six-foot stone wall around the perimeter, it was far enough away to look as small as something a doll could play with.  Breathing in the fresh, morning air, Alina twirled quickly before setting off into a run.  She had always loved the outside and was eager to explore it and find a sanctuary of her own on the immense grounds.

To the right was a massive expanse of rose garden that she was determined ti steadfastly avoid. It was the only one of its like on the whole property, which led her to the conclusion that it was the rose garden. The one her father had unwittingly stumbled into and the cause of her current situation. The cursed thing could burn for all she cared, taking it's cursed roses and their owner with it.

Avoiding the right, but not taking her eyes off of the gardens lest a monster jump from them, Alina walked in the opposite direction. She hadn't been paying attention to where she was going, too intent on keeping an eye on the gardens, when she ran into something.

"Oomph," the something said as Alina fell to the ground, not braced for an impact.

"Goodness! Are you alright?" A woman's voice called down to her.

Alina sat up and brushed her hands together to clear them of dirt and debris.  A pale, freckled hand reached out, offering help. Alina accepted and was pulled up by a woman who seemed to have remarkable strength, given she was smaller than Alina – though about the same age. Her long, copper-red hair shone like fire under the sunlight.

"I'm fine, thank you. And sorry about that, I wasn't watching where I was heading," Alina apologized. "I'm Alina."

"Oh yes, the castle is all abuzz about your arrival, in case you haven't noticed," the red-head joked. "It has been a long time since we have had any visitors, you'll have to excuse them.  They'll get over it soon enough. I'm Elizabeth."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Elizabeth."

"Would you care for company on your walk?" Elizabeth gestured towards where Alina had been heading. "I was only out for a stroll myself."

"Yes, that would be wonderful.  I haven't had a chance to meet many people here yet." They resumed walking at a much slower pace than Alina's jogging.

"No, I suspect you haven't met many people. What, with everyone looking at you like you're some sort of new art exhibition. Like I said, it will pass soon enough. Who have you met so far?"