Feelings of Failure

Popularity War

Chapter 3- Feelings of Failure

Eva crept alongside the house careful to stay within the shadows. Several villagers walked briskly passed her paying no attention to the young woman. Her disguise served her well in the dim light, but she was concerned about the busy square that sat in the open sunlight. Clutching her bonnet tighter to her face, she waited until the stand Eragon was running became vacant. Eva’s father assigned her with the shopping and he was the only farmer that she could trust at the moment.

Her nervousness intensified the longer she had to wait; every time she thought she had an opportunity to approach, another person would make their way to the stand. Each time she had to quickly change course making her way back to the dark alley. No one seemed to notice her pattern, much to her relief, but as the afternoon wore on she became desperate. When a middle aged man finished picking out the blueberries, strawberries, and zucchini that he wanted, Eva finally decided to make her way to the pavilion. Eragon was about to close the stand, but her plan was to intercept him before he had the chance.

As she approached, she heard him sigh heavily, yet his tone was polite when he said, “I’m really sorry miss, but I’m closing.” He was too busy closing the shop to recognize the young woman.

“Not before I get what I need.” Desperate or not, she still had to have an air of command. Her lifestyle might be crumbling but the villagers did not know that yet and she wanted to keep them ignorant for as long as possible.

Hearing Eva’s voice startled him causing him to drop the small basket of cherries that he was holding. Ignoring the fallen fruit he shifted his eyes until they landed upon her pale face hidden under a white ruffled bonnet, a bonnet only common women wore. Scanning the rest of her apparel, Eragon noticed that she wore a simple gray dress with white cuffs and an apron. The sight was so ridiculous that it held his attention until Eva cleared her throat, feeling awkward.

“Sorry to stare, but what are you doing here and dressed like that?” Eragon asked as he knelt down to pick up the cherries.

She waited until he was finished before responding. “I need to purchase some food. Rich folk need to eat too.”

Eragon leaned against the counter and crossed his arms to keep from packing up the rest of the fruits and vegetables. “Right, I get that, but you have servants who buy the food for you. Where are they?”

“That’s not really your concern, is it?” She waved her hand nonchalantly to make herself look more natural. She expected him to question her but she was growing tired of his stubbornness. Recollecting herself, she leaned in and whispered, “Look, you helped me a while back and I only want to return the favor. There are many farms I could buy from, but I chose to come here. If you help me get what I need, I will help you close up shop.” The last sentence was quickly added and it took her a moment to realize what she had just offered the young man. Unable to change her mind, she pretended as if it were her plan initially hoping that the young man would not catch on.

Eragon raised his eyebrows, “You are going to help me?” Eva nodded in approval. Uncrossing his arms and leaning in towards the woman, Eragon asked, “All right, but what’s the catch? There has to be one.”

Offended, Eva scoffed and denied his accusation.  “Why can’t you just accept that I just want to help?”

“Probably because I know you better than you think. Someone like you does not simply buy food and help people like me close up shop. There is something you are not telling me.” He began to place the untainted cherries on a cart as he waited for Eva to leave. That’s all he wanted.