Job Hunting

Popularity War

Chapter 11

                Eva winced as she flexed her right hand. Brown and green splotches rested upon her knuckles where her hand had come into contact with Cassandra. She was starting to regret hitting the girl, mainly because she was concerned about the consequences. Hamish was not a kind man and she was sure he would punish her somehow. Never before had she become so violent and her outburst frightened her. Who had she become?

                She continued to flex her hand despite the fact that pain erupted each time. Eva was sitting on a bench in what was once a beautiful garden behind her house. Weeds had overtaken the flowers making the area look wild. Unlike the day before, the sky was cloudy and the air was cool, mirroring Eva’s mood much better. A fly landed on her hand and she shooed him away only to have him return again seconds later. Having little patience of the insect, Eva stood up and walked back inside.

                Grabbing one of her favorite books, she lit some candles and curled up on her bed to read for the rest of the day.

Eva stifled the look of disappointment as she walked out of the woodshop alongside Eragon. He was trying to find her a job, but they had ill luck all morning. Eva wanted to work to earn a little extra money, but she also wanted to prove to her uncle that she could survive on her own. Working for a living may show him she can be responsible, allowing him to let her stay in Carvahall, which was her ultimate goal.

“Don’t give up yet; you’ll find a job.” Eragon led her towards the tavern. “But first, let’s have some lunch.”

They entered the smoky building and took a seat along the counter. Morn smiled at them before asking what he could get them. After Eragon ordered their food, he asked the bartender if he needed any help. He explained how Eva needed a job. Next to him, a drunken man grunted and murmured something unintelligible. Eragon ignored him as he waited for Morn to reply.

“I’m sorry, but she’ll be better off working elsewhere.” He gave Eva a sympathetic look and then left to prepare their meal.

The man sitting next to Eragon snickered. “Serves her right; a woman like that does not belong here.” He spat on the floor, his saliva almost hitting Eragon’s boots.

Feeling his temper rise at the offensive man, Eragon turned to look at him. “I advise you to hold your tongue.”

The man stopped drinking to glare at the boy. His dark green eyes glared into Eragon and his breath smelled strongly of alcohol. He was a middle aged man who looked older due to the constant strain of hard labor. His prominent jaw jutted out and pointed at Eragon as if it were an accusing finger. Instead of taking Eragon’s advice, the man made a rebuttal. “And I advise you to take that bitch out of here.”

As much as Eragon wanted to punch the man, he took a deep breath instead. Eva heard her fair share of foul language, but hearing it directed towards her made her rightfully upset. Rather than make the situation worse with choice words of her own, she grabbed Eragon’s arm and whispered in his ear. “Let’s get out of here.” She stood up and started to walk away, Eragon following suit.

Instigating the situation further, the man said, “Hey, you forgot something.” Irritated, Eva turned around and was going to tell him to be quiet, when she felt a cold, wet, substance hit her face. The beer trickled down her chin and neck as she stood stunned. In front of her, she could hear the man laughing.

Morn had returned from the kitchen to find Eva wet and Eragon slamming his fists into a man’s gut. Instinctively, he ran towards Eva to escort her out of the bar. The drunken man managed to hit Eragon back, sending him to the floor. He rolled out of the way before the drunk kicked him. Standing once more, Eragon swung his arm towards the drunk, hitting him in the side. He let out a growl as he came after Eragon again.