Princess in the nick of time

Princess in the Nick of Time

©Copyright 2013 all work presented is property of tash07, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of this work done by the author without explicit permission is severely prohibited and illegal.

“S

top! Stop! You’re hurting me!” Adelaine cried. The grip around her arm tightened. She was pulled into a black carriage and a blindfold hastily tied upon her eyes. “One word and you’ll be meeting my friend soon,” a gruff voice said. Adelaine felt a sharp jab against her neck and instantly grew silent. “Now that’s better,” the voice said. Something was pressed against her nose and she was instantly immersed in a pungent scent. Her vision became hazy and the sounds became distant. She reached out to grab on to the cushions for support but they wavered and became a distorted mass of shapes before her.”No!” Her mind cried out. She wavered and then slumped against the cushioned seat as the darkness engulfed her.

                “Mother!” Adelaine cried, “Can you believe it I’m finally going to be eighteen!” Her Mother looked at her and smiled, “Yes darling but you’ll just have to wait till tomorrow to be eighteen because tonight the whole kingdom is going to see their princess for the first time. “Mama,” she said. Queen Adela smiled and spoke, “Are you nervous my peach?” She asked. Adelaine nodded. “Don’t be dear you know that it is tradition for the princess of the castle to be seen only on the night before her eighteenth birthday and only on her eighteenth birthday would she be officially crowned a princess.”

                Adelaine sighed. “Why couldn’t Alasia be like the other kingdoms, why couldn’t I be a princess officially the day I was born,” she thought. Her Mother hugged her and giving her a peck on her cheek she whispered, “Don’t worry dear.”Adelaine smiled. Two ladies entered the room and spoke,” Your majesty it’s time.” The queen hugged her daughter one last time before exiting the room.”Rose, Violet do I have to get dressed now?” Adelaine asked. The two sisters smiled and Rose answered,” Yes your grace.” Violet went to draw the bath whilst Rose laid out the jewelry. After the bath Adelaine donned the gown that her Mother had given her. It was the traditional gown that was passed down from generation to generation and was worn by the princess on the night before her eighteenth birthday.

                It was a corseted gown that was made from the finest silk and had a pearlen glow to it. It flowed down to her toes while the sleeves hugged her arms and flared out at the hands. The ladies combed her hair till it lay against her waist and embellished her with the jewelry that was gifted to her by her father. She put on her boots the only thing that anyone could convince her not to wear and was about to be escorted to the hall when a knock was heard at her chamber door. A voice rang out almost instantly, “Your grace, Prince Nemios of the kingdom Aradia wishes to present a gift to the princess to be. Adelaine was quite taken aback. She bade her maids open the door and stared as two men entered the room.

                One bore the clothes of a humble messenger while the other was clothed in a most handsome hunting gear with a magnificent red cloak bellowing behind him. Adelaine stared; she had never seen a more handsome stranger. When he spoke she almost swooned. His aquamarine eyes pierced hers as he lifted her hand to place a kiss upon it. She was quite taken aback more so when he lifted a large diamond necklace and proceeded to place it around her neck. He was so handsome. She shook her head and spoke, “Thank you dear prince.” He smiled a smile that sent tremors reverberating throughout her body. “Please reserve a dance for me your grace, “he said. Adelaine smiled and nodded her head as his lips once again graced her hand. He bowed and exited. Adelaine smiled and proceeded towards the hall followed by her two ladies in waiting.