Chapter Thirteen

The next morning was one of little to no thought. Carter passed out pretty quick after Jen got on his ass about getting drunk when there's a killer on the loose. Amy gave it to me worse. She threw my ass outside for the night and didn't utter a word to me. Still couldn't sleep by then, so I eventually ended up smoking all of my cigarettes out there anyway. I was smoking my last cigarette when the front door opened. I looked up to see Carter rubbing his head and covering the rising sun with his hands to protect his eyes. The poor guy got fucked up worse than an American touring North Korea. He gestured for me to go inside, his wife still giving him the cold shoulder when we went into the kitchen. Amy ignored me, too. Carter and I did our walk of shame to the table in the kitchen. He was sipping a cup of coffee and I was drinking some juice. He looked over at me.

        "Why do you always drink juice?" he asks me.

        "Right now, it isn't a beer, that's why," I sip more of my drink.

        "But you always drink it."

        "I always like it."

        "One day you won't."

        "Well, then I'll be sure to call your ass in thirty years to tell ya all about it." I'm more of an asshole when I'm hungover. The last time I felt like this was when I was with Jane and we all know how that ended. Carter chugged the rest of his hot coffee. "Isn't that stuff hot?"

        "Not as hot as the shots," he stood up to pour himself another cup. "So, what did that whole night of pissing off my wife and getting your ass thrown out mean?"

        "No more God damn experiments, that's for sure," I continued to drink my juice. "Actually, I remember something."

        "I'm shocked you remember anything..." Carter mumbled.

        "I think it was you who wanted to go out drinking in the first place." I wag my finger at him.

        Carter began to think back. "Shit, I guess it was."

        "You had big stupid grin on your face, too."

        "I was feelin' pretty good."

        "Did you get that feeling after you took the pill?"

        "Yeah, actually." Carter nodded his in confirmation.

        "So, we come back to the first question. What the hell did that night mean?" I was stumped. And then it hit me. "Jesus Christ, this headache!" It was a big one and it just checked into the Frontal Lobe Hotel. That sucker was pounding me more than a college kid's first gay experience. Aw, fuck it, my head is killing me just thinking about it to tell you to calm down. I chugged the rest of my juice and motion for Carter to give me the carton. He hands it to me when I finally get the eureka moment I was waiting for. "That's it!... Aw shit, my head!" I stood up too fast and my head didn't catch up in time.

        "What?! What is it?" Carter asked, holding his head as well.

        "The pill... I know what it does... God DAMN this thing!" I'm holding onto side of the wall at this point.  Amy and Jen rush into the room.

        "Edgar, what is it?!" Amy asks.

        "He's got a bad hangover," Carter replies.

        "The pills! I know what they do!" I'm trying to get a hold of myself. "They... make you weaker, mentally. When you take them... you're more liable to suggestion. That's why you did that stupid shit, Carter!"