Chapter Eleven

I think he was smoking something when he turned to me.

        "Edgar, my friend, how have you been? I've been great!" he says to me, ignoring the obvious army outside waiting for him.

        "I'm doing just... peachy. Where is she?" I don't have time to fuck around with him.

        "She's safe, I can assure you of that."

        "If she's in this building, she's no where close to being fucking safe."

        "Now, now, Edgar, calm yourself. You're our guest of honor, just as the commissioner requested," he takes a bottle and glass, pouring me some wine.

        I take the glass, stir the wine a little, and throw it on the ground. "I don't have time for you shit. Give her to me and the cops won't swarm the place."

        "Is that really your call to make? Do you have the authority to do such a thing?" he asks me.

        "I've got enough."

        "Authority is like gluttony, always desiring more to rule over and consume in the process."

        "Why did you take her?"

        "The commissioner told us that it was Shakespeare's will, so we fulfilled it."

        "The commissioner is Shakespeare, isn't he?"

        "No, no, Edgar. Shakespeare is my father... besides, my father is above carrying out such savage work. He's a man of the mind, not the muscle," he puffed on his cigarette.

        Damn was he pissing me off. I think the thing that kept doing that was how smug he acted and self assured he was at all of this. I hated how much trust he put into this 'Shakespeare' guy. I hated how pretentious the guy was, based off his name. Where did all this anger come from? Other than the fact for blowing my apartment and kidnapping the only woman I love. And what has the anger got me to? I run into the bad guy's building like the lone fucking ranger and start making demands. My dumbass hasn't yet realized that I'm in their home. "Give her to me, or this place will be dust in thirty seconds." The people around me laugh, but then they look at my face. I didn't change it all.

        The leader took notice of this. "Why would you kill yourself, Edgar?"

        I looked down at the floor. "Ever since this shit started happening to me, I feel like I actually... care about something. I don't want to feel numb anymore and each time I die in those dreams, I feel more alive than ever for just one little second," I look up at the leader, "and I've already experienced this before." The people around me begin to worry and whisper to each other.

        "Are we going to die?!" one of them whispered to the person next to them. They were eating it up.

        "Yes, you are going to die. You should accept it now and face your death. You can't run from your fate." The people in the room now begin to slowly back and run out of the building, screaming. The police outside begin shouting at them to stand still as they arrest them. "Now it's down to you."

        The leader looked at the space around him. He was completely alone now. "A well done plan you executed, nice quick thinking. She's being released to the police as we speak," he points to the giant window.

        I run over and look down. I can see Amy being escorted by Carter himself. "Thank God..."

        "God had nothing to do with it. His will has no bearing on any man, or king. You are truly something special, Edgar. Your ability really could have helped us, but now I see where you lie." He sounded disappointed.