Chapter 40

Much like Shawn said it took him 10 minutes to go see his mom and sister and get back. I feel bad, did he really only want to spend 10 minutes with his family? I wouldn't mind if he wanted to see them much longer.

I stood in the driveway lost in thought when I felt a hand on my lower back. I jumped and looked over to see Shawn.

"You got everything?" He asks. Still slightly taken aback I just nod with a small smile.
"Oh, come to visit us again soon!" My mom says walking up to us and hugging us both at the same time.
"I will mom." I sigh, feeling a bit sad to leave.
"Not just you, bring Shawn, he's quite the charmer." She winked.
"Mother!" I covered my face feeling embarrassed yet again. Shawn just laughed as I felt his arm wrap around my shoulder.

"Daddy please control mom," I whined removing my hands from my face.
"You know no one can do that, sweetheart." He sighed as he walked up to us as well, standing next to mom.
"It was incredibly nice meeting you, Mr. and Mrs. Marling," Shawn said holding out his free hand to my dad. But dad being himself just pulled Shawn in for a big hug.
"You take good care of my little girl, God forbid something happens to her." He firmly tells Shawn.
"Daddy..." I felt my cheeks burning as I looked away.
"Don't worry sir, Ce here's in good hands." Shawn chuckled looking down at me. I just looked up at him with a small smile. When I looked away I noticed mom with her hand next to her mouth mouthing something to me... 'date him already' was what I got from it and I glared at her.

"You're not sneaky," I said crossing my arms, addressing her. She just raised a brow to me and looked over at Shawn who was having his own conversation with dad.
"Oh, Shawn dear." She interrupts, Shawn gives her his full attention.
"Do you think you can take our sweet Cecilia to get lunch after you get back? I fear she's not eating enough." My mom sighed looking at me with fake sympathy eyes.
"Oh, no Shawn you don't have-"
"No, c'mon I'd love to spend more time with you Ce." He cuts me off as he smiled a wide beautiful smile at me.
"O-Ok." I agreed while feeling the blood rush to my cheeks once more.
"How cute! It's like a date." Mom cooed as she clapped her hands together. I just stared at her with wide eyes. I heard Shawn mumble something but didn't quite catch it.
"What?" I asked as I looked up at him.
"Hmm?" He hummed at me. I must have been hearing things. I just shake my head before looking back at mom.

Shawn and I were on the road again. I sat quietly in the passenger's seat looking out the window. When I moved my foot I felt something hit it. I looked down to see Shawn's little brown journal. I reached down and picked it up. As interested as I was in it I still had to respect Shawn's privacy and placed it on the seat in between us. I noticed Shawn glancing over with a small smile on his face.

"So how was it meeting my parents?" I ask looking up at him.
"Great! They're very lovely people." He answers.
"Sorry if my mom or dad were a bit much though," I said feeling slightly embarrassed.
"What? No way! I mean I just really felt nothing but love being there, it was so refreshing." He sighs.
"Well, that's good. But also how was it seeing your mom and sister?"
"Oh, that was good too. I'm glad I at least got to see them before they left."
"Left?"
"Yeah, they're going to visit my father on a business trip."
"Oh. And you didn't want to go?" I asked feeling a little bad.
"Well... I don't know. I haven't seen my dad since I left for college this year and he wasn't happy with my choice of pursuing music over... business." Shawn sounded sad.
"I think it's a good thing to follow your dreams, even if not everyone you care about approves of them, just as long as you can say you're happy in life that's all that matter... I don't know your father but maybe he'll come around." I said as I placed a hand on Shawn's shoulder.
"Thank you." Was all he said while quickly looking at me with a small smile. Even though he smiled I could still see the pain in his eyes.

Shawn drove us straight back to the campus promising he'll by us lunch once we get settled in back here. As he unloaded the truck a familiar face walked up to us from the parking lot.

"Hi, Harry!" I chimed walking up to him and giving him a hug.
"Hello, there gorgeous how are you doing?" He asks. I can never get tired of listening to his beautiful British accent.
"Great, Shawn and I just came back from our little trip to my mom's house." I smiled, gesturing over to Shawn who was shutting his car door. He then approached us my bag and his own in hand. He stands behind me but it looks like he's standing taller than normal and as if he's puffing out his chest.

"That sounds lovely." Harry smiled at Shawn before smiling down at me.
"Yeah. We were planning on getting lunch pretty soon though, so..." Shawn interjected.
"You guys must be starving! Tell you what though, since it looks like a strong man such as yourself can handle the bags why don't Cecilia and I get a head start to the cafeteria?" Harry suggested.
"Oh that sounds great but I should help Shawn first."
"Please I insist, I'll pay too. Also what kind of gentleman would we," Harry gestures to himself and Shawn, "be if we just let a little lady such as yourself go any longer without a proper meal." He finished just looking up at Shawn.
"Uh, I'll-"
"You should go first." Shawn cut me off. I just look back at him and he doesn't look happy.
"What?" I ask.
"Are you hungry?" He just answers with his own question.
"Well... yeah but I can wait-"
"Don't. Go. I'll meet you there, I'll just take your bag back to my apartment and we'll go back there when we're done." He explains, but not looking at me. Instead, he was looking at Harry with a cold stare.
"Are you sure?" I asked wanting to make sure he was ok.
"You heard him. Let's get you fed, love." Harry said wrapping an arm around mine and practically pulling me along with him. As I was lead away I looked back at Shawn who looked defeated as he stood there and looked at me too.