Moving On

I looked to her and her smile was wide as she drove us down the road. Her hair blew in the wind that entered the driver's side window and she began to accelerate, laughing gently. The speed was exciting.

"Don't drive too fast, there are a lot of turns here." I told her, somewhat worried. 

"Don't worry, I'm a good driver." She replied and slowed down to take a corner, the exhaust muffling her speech as she downshifted. I watched her as she drove. Her face was that of peace. I'd never seen her so relaxed. Everything had a rythm when she was driving. Her expression changed and my gaze shot back to the road. She slammed on the brakes and the car jerked forward, the tires screeching against the road and the brakes locking up as she tried to avoid an oncoming car driving in our lane. She tried to turn away from them but she couldn't. They clipped the front of her car and we flipped, landing on our roof. The car slid on the roof for meters and all you could hear was the sound of the metal grinding against the asphalt. I grabbed onto her hand and looked at her. Her forehead was cut open and bloody, her eyes were closed. 

"Silvia!" I shouted at her, trying to wake her."

"Wake up!" I heard, but the words were not mine. My eyes opened and I shot upright, looking around, panicked. "Aleksandr, are you alright? What happened?" Silvia was bent over me with a worried look on her face. She was perfectly fine. I was dreaming. 

"Bad dream." I told her and let out a deep breath.

"No kidding. All your shouting woke me up. Can I get you something?"

"I'm alright, thank you..." 

I suppose I should back track. After we left my sister's grave, we came back to Silvia's appartment. I made the two of us dinner and then we talked for a while. Nothing important, just small talk. Trying to keep it from being silent. We began to watch a movie but I must have fallen asleep on her sofa. I had been rather tired. 

"What happened in your dream?" She asked and took a seat beside me. 

"We were in a car crash."

"Oh." She took a moment before continuing. "Who was driving?"

"You were."

"Oh. Well I'm a good driver, so it won't happen." She smiled gently at me.

"It wasn't your fault." I sighed gently.

She looked at me for a while, not saying anything. 

"Move in with me."  She said bluntly as if she had thought it through a hundred times. Maybe she had. 

"Why?" 

"Because I want you to live with me. Plus I know you'd much rather be living with me than in your tiny appartment." She smiled at me, knowing she was right. "If anything, do it because this appartment is too big for just me." 

"Alright. When?"I smiled gently, knowing she had won.

"Today, after you're done work. Unless you don't want to move in with me." She pouted and gave me puppy dog eyes.

"That's no fair, you can't do that. "

"Do what?" She continued.

"Of course I want to move in with you. " 

"Good, I'm glad. Now go get ready for work."

"When did you become so bossy?" 

"Since you started living in my house." She winked at me jokingly.  

I got up from the couch and she took my spot, relaxing into it over dramatically.

"It must be nice not having to work." I rolled my eyes at her.

"Its absolutely wonderful."  

I went into the bathroom, showering and getting ready for the day ahead of me. By the time I was done Silvia had fallen asleep on the couch. I kissed her forehead gently and took my leave, heading to work. Work was a pain. Business was slow and my boss was on me the entire time, complaining about things that I didn't do, telling me that all the other employees were better than me. It's funny that I'm the only one of them not stealing from the cash register behind his back. He even had the nerve to bring up my mother, calling her a deadbeat. That's when I had it. 

"Look, how about you go fuck yourself?" I told him right to his face. "I'm done, I quit. I'm not putting up with all your bullshit. If everyone else is a better employee then have them bend over backwards for you, because I'm gone." I gave him the middle finger out of pure adrenaline. It was incredibly exciting. The only reason I had got the job in the first place is because of my mother. He was my second uncle, or something like that. I could care less who he was. He was an idiot. I began walking back to my new appartment, mentally patting myself on the back. I couldn't tell if this was a good thing or not, but I didn't really want to think about that. I was feeling happy. For the first time in years, I was feeling happy all because of the last few days. 

I arrived home to an excited Silvia. "Guess what, guess what!" she said the moment I got in the door.

"I haven't got a clue, what is it?"

"My car is here!" She smiled happily at me. "Well, not exactly here... It's actually on the far east coast... but it's in Canada at least. I'm going to pick it up!" 

"When?" I took a seat on the kitchen counter as she paced around the kitchen.

"In 5 hours." 

"What? You're going to British Columbia in 5 hours?!"

"No, We're going to British Columbia in 5 hours." She smiled at me. 

"I haven't got enough time to pack. You're crazy."

"Very. Come on, I'll buy you clothes when we get there. Help me pack." 

"What about moving in?" I hopped down from the counter.

"That can wait, this is important." She said seriously and began to walk to her room. I followed her. She began to put clothes into a suitcase, looking through everything and then picking certain clothes. It didn't take her as long as I thought it would for her to finish packing. She grabbed every single thing she figured she would need. "Come on, lets go get a taxi." 

I took her bag for her and nodded. "Have you forgot anything?"

"If I have, I'd rather not know about it. Lets go." She smiled and held the door for me. I walked through and wait for the elevator while she locked the appartment up. We took the elevator downstairs and waited for the taxi. I couldn't really believe this was real. I was going to the other end of the country on a plane in 4 hours. She couldn't have picked a flight tomorrow? This was all so rushed. Everything was so rushed. I kind of loved it. It was so exciting. I never thought this is where I'd be. "Come on, the cab's here. Lets go." She said excitedly. I put the suitcase in the trunk and then we got in. We started for the airport and it didn't take too long before we arrived. Everything around us was in such a rush. We took our time to the front desk. She held my hand as I pulled her black suitcase behind me. We got our tickets and gave them the bag to load it onto the plane. We made small talk and went through security with no issues. We then sat down to wait for the next two hours so that we could board our flight.

"Want to play a game?" She asked me, her tone still excited. 

"Sure, what would you like to play?" 

"Lets play cards." She smiled and pulled out a deck of cards that I didn't even know she had. We played all sorts of card games while we waited, killing time. Black Jack, Crazy Eights, Go Fish, War. Normally I'd have been bored, but I didn't even know two hours had passed until they announced our flight. "That's us." She smiled and put the cards away. 

"Lets go." I stood up and held her hand as we walked to the boarding gate.