2 - Omega

I side glance at my sister, the only one occupying me in our family SUV. "You know, if anyone should be mad here, it should be me." 

   Allison gives me a confused look from the corner of her eye, not fully giving me her attention. She shakes her head and continues to stare out of the window. The cemetery is filled with photographers and police officers. Everyone is here for Aunt Kate's funeral. No one can get too close unless they are part of the family or were friends of Kate's. 

   "No, seriously." I attempt to grab my sister's attention. "I'm the one that should be mad at you after what you did."

   Allison bites her thumb nail. She can hear me, she's just choosing not to acknowledge me. 

   "I mean, what I did seems so small compared to what you did." I try again.

   "What are you talking about?" Allison cracks by whipping her head my way.

   I hold back my smug smile. "Oh! You don't even know what you did?" I sarcastically scoff. "Typical."

   Allison narrows her eyes. "And, what did I do?"

   "You broke the no-boyfriend-until-college pact first." 

   She cracks a small smile and a giggle slips out of her mouth. "No." She points her finger while hardening her face. "No, I don't want to laugh. I'm mad at you."

   I slide to the middle seat. "I know that, but, Allison, I did all of that to protect you. And, I know you are mad because I lied to you for so long, but I need my sister back. Not being able to talk to you physically pains me. I hate it. Look, you can continue to hate me all you want just- just talk to me."

   "I don't know if I can." Allison admits, sadly.

   "Talk about how much you hate porcupines." I offer. 

   Allison scrunches her eyebrows. "I don't hate porcupines."

   I rack my brain for an idea and clap my hands once when I think of one. "Okay, talk about that beach day we had a year ago when I got stung by a jellyfish on my foot. Remember when I had a huge freak out because I didn't know what to do until a random stranger told me I had to pee on myself. Then, I didn't want to do that until the pain was too much for me." 

   Allison laughs at the memory. "Okay, fine. We'll go back to talking. We're not back to being best friends, though. I'm still really mad at you. Look, if we're going to do this, you can't lie to me anymore. You have to tell me everything."

   "I will." I nod my head, happily. "And, when we get back home, I'll tell you everything."

   "Good."

   "So, sisters?" I lean forward.

   Allison exhales out of her nose, nodding. "Sisters."

   I squeal in happiness, lunging forward to hug her. Allison hesitates for a second before giving in and hugging me back. This is good. It's a small step. 

   "But, I am totally bringing the jellyfish story up during school when people are around." Allison pulls back first.

   I shrug my shoulders. "I deserve it." 

   Allison's door opens from the outside and dad is standing there with mom by his side. "Girls." 

   The smile quickly washes off of my face. Mom has her usual scowl on her face and dad looks like he'd rather be anywhere, but here. I haven't had a decent conversation with either of them. The most mom says to me is that dinner is done or I have to go to my guidance counselor appointments. They have been watching me like a hawk, though. Everything I do, they are watching me. When I went to go visit Lydia in the hospital after being attacked by Peter, Mom made sure to ask me where I was going about twenty times before handing my keys over. They don't trust me anymore. It almost feels like they don't love me anymore either.