Holidays By The Seaside: Chapter Five

The next morning Irene woke up and checked the time on her cellphone. It was 8:30. I have never woken up so early before! She thought and tried to fall back to sleep but it was impossible, so she laid on her bed alone with her thoughts until she lost the track of time. 

She heard some steps getting close to her and thinking it was her mom she closed her eyes pretending to be asleep. 

"Put it on her bedside table" she heard someone whispering.

"No, her bed is a better place" a second voice said.

Irene was trying to figure out the object the voices were talking about. Is it a present? She wondered. But my birthday is on March... She couldn't wait anymore so she opened her eyes widely to find out what was the thing the two voices were talking about.

It was Mark trying to put a plastic spider on her pillow. ''Aaaaaaarg!!!!'' he screamed because of her sudden movement. Xanthippi was laughing so much so she sat on the nearest chair she could find because her legs couldn't hold her up. 

''Why are you awake it's ten o'clock in the morning and you never wake up before twelve!'' he asked her almost shouting.

''There is no answer to this question although, I would really like to listen yours about the spider'' Irene told him and had a large grin on her face. It was the "Karma" smile.

''I thought that every day I am going to wake you up in different and funny way'' he said proudly. "and the idea was inspired by your lovely mother."

"I dare you to try." she gave him one of her most frightening looks.

"Anyway, Irene get up and wear your swimsuit. We're going to the beach" Xanthippi pulled Irene out of her bed when she finally managed to stop her hysterical laughter.

"Ok but wait me to wash and eat something first."

Half an hour later - which seemed to Irene's friends like hours - they left from her cottage and went to the beach.

"Is princess Xanthippi doing us the favor and swim with us?" Irene asked her sarcastically when she touched the water with her toes.

"I don't think so because it is too cold" she responded.

"Come on, it's good for your skin whatsoever " said Mark trying to convince her.

" You are right" Xanthippi sighed and made small steps sinking deeper and deeper, her whole body was shivering.

The other two followed her. When they were deep enough, Irene laid on the solurface of the water which was always relaxing her. She felt all her worries flow out of her head.

She was nearly asleep when she felt something touching her. Thinking it was a shark she jumped like a spring and shierked with her shrill voice echoing to the whole beach. All the heads turned in worry to see her. In front of her stood a boy whose face seemed familiar.

"False alarm, sorry" she said loudly in order to calm them down. A few people were breathing heavily because of the shock, while others rolled their eyes and continued their discussions. Irene heard an old lady saying to another how drugs can affect young people.

"Hi" she said to Harry who was standing beside her. She was smiling like nothing had happened.

"Hey" he greeted her back. "Sorry for scaring you" he half-smiled.

"It's alright" she coughed because her voice was strained.

"So... you must be Harry. I am Xanthippi" she stretched out her hand.