Chapter 4

Alice's P.O.V.

      It was finally the end of the day and I was at my locker collecting my gifts that I had received throughout the day. I had my hands full of gifts as I closed my locker, only to come face to face with Emily and her “gang”.

   “Look what happens when you never get a Valentine,” she says to her followers so that I could hear as well. “You start to send gifts to yourself.” They all started laughing and I was getting upset. That certainly wasn’t true. I was about to speak up and tell her when someone beat me to it.

   “She didn’t send them to herself.” I turned around to see Max standing there looking rather annoyed at her.

   “Then who did? Mr Invisible?” This caused another cackle to come from her cronies.

   “She didn’t send them to herself,” he repeated.

   “Pshhyeah. I’ll believe it when I see it,” she scoffed, before flicking her hair over her shoulder and turning off with her friends following behind her.

   “Oh, you’ll see it alright,” he muttered. I gave him a small smile of thanks.

   “Thanks Max,” I hugged him and I felt him relax before hugging me back.

   “You’re welcome,” he replied. “But you’d better hurry up, or you’ll miss your bus.” With that he pulled me along to my bus and watched me get on it just in time. I waved goodbye through the window and settled back into my seat.

   Before I could get too comfortable however, I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to come face to face with Macy who was in the year below me. She thrust an envelope at me, which I took – rather confused might I add – before she turned back around.

   I turned the envelope over and saw my name written on the front. I opened it and inside was a letter with the same beautiful cursive that had been written on all of my previous messages that day. I took a deep breath as I read it.

   Dear Alice,

      I heard that you were wondering who your secret admirer was. I would like to say that I can’t believe that you haven’t guessed already who I am, but honestly I’ve kept it very quiet. You see, I get rather nervous when even thinking about telling you my true feelings for you. I am worried about ruining our friendship as I am almost certain that these feelings I have for you are not mutual on your part. But after musing over it, I have come to the conclusion that you deserve to know about the feelings I have for you.

   I must advise you, however, not to get too excited as I’m nothing special.  In fact I’m rather plain and I don’t have any outstanding factors in myself. I’m not super smart and neither am I a star athlete. But there’s a small glimmer of hope that I am holding onto that I may possibly be just good enough for you and if not now, then hopefully at a later date. You are the definition of perfection and anyone who thinks otherwise is either a complete moron or is simply jealous of you. I honestly wouldn’t change anything about you for the world.

   Now that I have said all that needs to be said, it is up to you. If you want to find out who I am, then I will be waiting for you this evening at 5pm beside the fountain in the park. I’ll be the one most likely fidgeting in the corner and stuttering before the sight of your beauty. If you decide against the idea of meeting with me, then I suppose that I shall just have to live with that, but I honestly don’t think that I will get up the courage to tell you again. Also if you do decide to come and you‘re extremely disappointed about who I am, then do not hesitate to leave, I don’t want to waste your time.

   But please promise me one thing: if you do decide to come and you see that it is just me, please don’t hate me. I know that I couldn’t bear to lose you as a friend.

   I’ll be waiting, darling.

   Love from

      Your Secret Admirer xx

   I sat there thinking. The first thing that I thought about was the fact that they said that they were concerned about our friendship being affected. That must mean that we were friends, but I’m still not sure how close. I still couldn’t think of a single person that it could be though, but then again, they did say that they had kept it quiet. They must have kept it really quiet.

   Suddenly it sank in: I had the chance to find out who they were! But what if I did go and it turned out just to be Emily playing a joke on me? But then Casey did promise me that it wasn’t her and I knew he wouldn’t lie to me. I would have to go; otherwise I would be kicking myself forever.

   I got off the bus and rushed home, all of the presents I received today almost spilling out of my arms. I got home and ran to my room, placing everything on my bed and reading over the letters again. They were just as surprising the second time round. I still couldn’t get my head around the fact that someone may actually like me in that way.

   I went downstairs and arranged the roses in a vase of water before getting something to eat. I was sitting at the table eating a sandwich when my mum walked through the door. She saw me, then the flowers and smiled.

   “Good day at school?” I just nodded, stuffing my face with my sandwich to try and avoid answering any more questions. As soon as I finished my sandwich I ran upstairs to my room. I had an hour to get ready and get there. I had a quick shower and dried my hair. But what do I wear? I opened my wardrobe and began searching. I had no idea what to wear; I had never done anything like this before. So I just decided to dress how I normally would. I put on a clean pair of skinny jeans and pulled on a batman shirt with a hoodie. By the time I was finished I had 15 minutes to get to the park, the park was only a 5 minute walk away, so I decided to read over the letters again. Even for the third time reading them I still got butterflies in my stomach.

   I told my mum that I was going to meet some friends at the park and started the walk. All of my thoughts went into overdrive and I started to have second thoughts in case this was all a misunderstanding or it really was all a joke. But then I decided that there was no way in me finding out if I didn’t go.

   The fountain was in sight and I felt myself start to fidget as my hands wouldn’t keep still. When I reached the fountain no one was there; what if they’d decided not to come? Maybe they were just running late. So I sat down on the edge of the fountain and waited. I waited for 10 minutes, then I started to think that maybe they weren’t going to show, if they were even real that is. Maybe this was all a joke, maybe I-

   “Hi Alice,” I heard a gentle voice in front of me; I looked up to see the last person I expected to.

   “Max?” 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A.N.

Gaaaaasssssppp. Let's face it, we all knew it was coming. But I just want a Max of my own okay?! I would snuggle up to him and never let him go awhh. 

   So anyway...what did you think of the chapter? Drop me a comment below, I'd love to know :D Votes are also always appreciated. I just wanted to let you know that I love you all! <3

   The song for this chapter is Liquid Confidence by You Me At Six, because I don't know. I just wanted to have it for this chapter (:

   I really hope you liked it! Now who wants to read the next chapter?

   Don't forget you can keep in touch with me throughout the day on twitter (drop me a tweet telling me you're from wattpad and I'll follow you back) http://www.twitter.com/#!/baratw4t

   Spread Good Vibes & Stay Awesome!

       With Love, Evangeline xx