In Pursuit of a Diamond (Chapter 4)

Brief word from the author:

Dear Reader,

I really need feedback! It doesn't help me to have a few people scan through the story, and leave the work at that. This is my first time writing a lengthy story (I'm practicing a bit of self-discipline here), or a fantasy story. This is also my first time sharing a story of my own invention with strangers around the world before letting anyone else see it first. I've never been entirely comfortable sharing my writing, due to fear of it being, well, not very good. I want to know if my fears are justified. If you like what you read, please, please, don't hesitate to vote or comment. If you liked it but don't want other people to know, feel free to send me a private message; my oh-so-vacant inbox anxiously awaits you. If you didn't like it, don't be brutal, but I encourage you to give me some suggestions, maybe tell me where you think the plot should go from where you left off. I want to know what you think of the conflict, what you think of the characters. Basically, the more (hopefully good) opinions you have, the better!

Thank you so much for choosing to give my story a chance. And thank you in advance for any feedback.

Yours in spirit,

RaeF1994

---

"He's not there."

Drogo Norensis quickly glanced up to see the speaker. Volker Mustela stood in the doorway of Norensis' shop, looking like a nervous child in for a spanking.

"Who's not where?" Norensis asked, shutting the case he had been organizing before being interrupted.

"That kid you got to bring over the Diamond," Volker said, turning every word over in his mouth as though he hated their taste, "He wasn't on the plane."

"What?!" Norensis cried. He strode quickly over to the doorway. Volker cowered slightly under his arresting gaze. Although the two men were about the same height, Norensis certainly had a much more imposing build than Volker. "What do you mean, he wasn't on the plane?"

"The men have been going through the wreckage," Volker said, "None of the bodies were right. And... and the diamond not anywhere to be found."

"Of course it's bloody well nowhere to be found!" Norensis growled, "He's not the brightest, but Sommerfeld would at least have the good sense to keep it with him."

"I really that, Norensis," Volker replied, voice quivering slightly, "But that doesn't help us now. You told me he would be on that flight! The entire crash was for nothing, then."

"He was supposed to be on the flight," Norensis spat back at him, "Why on earth wouldn't he have been?" He heaved himself into a large nearby armchair. "That idiot, that stupid, stupid, kid."

"Norensis," Volker said, daring to look at his fury-filled face, "You were the one who picked him to bring the diamond over. If you had brought it out yourself-"

"If?" Norensis shouted, sending Volker cowering back into the door, "If I'd brought it? If I'd held on to it, the Anti's would've found it back at the other shop in Norfolk during their last raid. I've told you before, Volker. They've been getting suspicious. They're not trusting me the way they used to. But Sommerfeld? He's young, he's naïve, he'd kill himself if he thought it were for the good of the Anti-Movement. Who else could've brought it?"

"Alright, alright," Volker said quickly, trying desperately to repair any damage he had just caused, "But if he trusts you so much, where is he now?"

"Are you positive he didn't get on the plane?" Norensis asked, his glance burning into Volker.

"Not that I'm aware of..."

Norensis was up in a swift movement, and came up face to face with Volker. The latter let out a cry as Norensis grabbed his shoulder in a crushing hold, and brought him to where they were almost nose-to-nose. "Not that you're aware of? Were you, or were you not, supposed to keep a close eye on him at the terminal? Weren't you supposed to never let him out of your sight?!"

Volker bit his lip to prevent a whimper escaping as Norensis' grip tightened on his shoulder. "I-I did, Norensis. Best I could, I swear. But I had to get to the cockpit before the flight; I couldn't watch him from there!"

"So he didn't get on the flight?"

Volker let out a breath of relief as Norensis released his shoulder, but remained wary of his glare. "I don't see how he could've. He couldn't very easily have left a plane during flight, and go unnoticed."

"He might have Vaniported?"

"Couldn't have," Volker replied quickly, "It's incredibly difficult, the boy would never be capable of it. There are very few who have the focus of mind, the strength of sorcery, the power and ability to Vaniport." He swelled a bit with pride as he said this, knowing himself to be one of those precious few.

Norensis let out a low, rumbling groan and sank back into the armchair. "You don't think he's already passed on the diamond?" Volker suggested, "He might have met up with one of the Anti's on his way over, and given the Diamond to them to save himself the work."

"Couldn't be," Norensis said, "He'd've sent word."

"Well, then, what is there to do?"

Norensis stood up, coming to his decision. "We have to find him. There's no other option. Search any place he might be, any place involved with the Anti-Movement. We have to get that Diamond back from him; more importantly, we have to get it before they do."