34: Saying Goodbye

You awoke to the sound of slow, steady beeping

You awoke to the sound of slow, steady beeping. You immediately reached for the bedside table on instinct for your glasses, but you couldn't find it there. You flinched when you felt someone grab your hand and placed what you recognized were your glasses. You put it on and squinted at Kai.

"Kai?" you muttered in confusion and considered for a while if you were dreaming.

"Good morning," he said, wearing his usual Kai smile.

"Why are you here?" You asked. "Why am I here?" You asked more surprised, when you realized you were not on your bed.

Kai laughed and answered, "Lu Han-hyung and the others brought you here. You passed out."

You just stared at him in confusion. Your mind was a haze and trying to remember was giving you a headache.

You looked around you and finally realized you were on one of the clinic beds. There was no one else there but the two of you. The room was a little dim and the window didn't invite any lights behind the curtains to suggest that it was still day time.

"For how long have I been here?" You asked.

"Well, you've been unconscious for ten hours now," Kai told you.

"Ten hours?!" You exclaimed and immediately squinted at the wall clock. It was a few minutes past three. "Is that three in the..."

"Morning," Kai finished for you.

"Omo," you muttered. You checked yourself and realized that you had a needle on one of your hands which was connected to what you guessed was dextrose.  Your other hand had a rubber-ish bracelet attached to your wrist. You realized it was causing all the beeping. It had a small digital screen which read 137.

"And this?" You asked, showing Kai the bracelet.

"That's some kind of heart rate monitor according to Doctor Jung. It will send him a warning if you palpitate again," he told you.

"Palpitate?"

"You palpitated when you passed out. Your heart rate was thrice the normal human heart rate, according to Doctor Jung. Normally, most monsters have a higher heart rate than humans but in your case, you were in human form and most of your body is human," he informed you.

You blinked blankly at him and absent-mindedly placed your hand to your heart. Thankfully, it seemed to be beating normally. You have no clue what could have happened to you earlier, since you have not experienced it before, as far as you can remember.

"Did Doctor Jung find out what's wrong?"

"I don't know. He didn't tell us yet. He said he was gonna look into it further."

"Oh. Why are you here by the way? Shouldn't you be asleep?"

"I couldn't sleep. It's not like I have class tomorrow anyway," he shrugged. "How are you feeling?"