Chapter 4 - Inritus Irritus

Dr. Kendrick told me about a club named Void, but it was known as the Latin word Inritus Irritus. The club holds humans who volunteer to feed soul eaters. The volunteers are known as the IntentioThe Latin word for attention. The Intentio's usually are those who feel they have no reason to live. So, they volunteer themselves to us. It's something I want to try instead of killing innocent humans who actually have a reason to live. 

Kayla and I make our way to the club 'Void.' It was known to be a popular club for the Soul Eaters. She told me to stay close by her side because creatures like us would feed off of each other, but unlike humans, they can regain their strength and wont suffer from the loss of their soul. It was safer than having a relationship with a human, which could never happen. 

As we enter the club, different many tastes fill my nose and mouth. My mouth waters uncontrollably. I feel Kayla's hand grab and tighten around my wrist, keeping me close as we push through the crowd of sweaty dancing bodies to get to the bar.

"Two waters." Kayla tells the bartender.

We lean our backs against the bar table, and watch the crowd. The music pounds loud over our ears. I can feel it in my stomach.

"Look over there." She turns and nods her head over to the girl sitting by herself a few seats down from us. She looks about 18 years of age. "Her names Ava, daughter of one of the elders."

"Hmm. If she's so rich, why is she here?"

"Well you know, Strict parents raise rebellious kids."

"My parents weren't strict and I turned out rebellious." I exclaim.

The bartender hands us two glasses of water. I trace the edge of the cup with my index finger.

"That doesn't surprise me." She nudges me playfully, and takes a sip of her water.

"Oh and him."  She points at the man to our left sitting with a young human lady. He grabs at her waist, and kisses her face.

"I thought Soul Eaters weren't supposed to have relationships with humans?" I say with sadness in my voice.

"Gabriel is what you call a Tenebris AnimaA dark soul.She refers to what I'm guessing his name is. She pauses and looks over at him and back to me, "Dark Souls are known for not abiding by the rules of the book or the elders. They have their own rules, and tamper with the Tenebris Anima leader. But we don't deal with him very often, unless we have too."

I rub my temples with my index and middle finger, "There is still a lot I need to know."

"Oh yeah." She finishes her cup of water, and turns to the bartender and asks for a sprite instead. "But don't worry about it. You'll have so much fun once you get into training and stuff." 

"Training?"

"I'll explain later." She waves her hand in the air, brushing me off. "Right now, we are going to have some fun." She winks, grabs my arm, and leads me out to the crowd. 

The music is even louder on the dance floor, and with sweaty bodies rubbing up against me gives me an irritating hunger, but I have to prove to Kayla that I can control myself in a crowd like this. Throughout the whole club, I can only spot about ten to twenty Soul Eaters in the club, and the rest are humans. 

"I thought this was a club for Soul Eaters." I raise my voice over the music. 

Kayla sways back and forth, "It is. The rest are either in the back getting drunk off souls." Her high pitch laugh floats over the music. "Drunkards." She adds before the crowd consumes her, leaving me by myself.

After 30 minutes of standing alone, I decide to make my way back to the bar to grab a drink. I feel my insides heat up as the noises around me continue. I watch the crowd dance away, and see no sign of Kayla. 

"You look like you're having no fun." Gabriel, the dark soul Kayla told me about, slides into the chair next to me. His British accent gives me a weird tingle in my stomach.

"Yeah, well. I'm not hungry." 

"I didn't say you were. You just look like you have nothing to do."

I roll my eyes, "Don't you have somewhere to be with your girlfriend?"

He lifts up an eyebrow and smiles, exposing his white teeth. "That human?" He scoffs. "Please. That was a mere snack."

I half-gasp, half-sigh. "You killed her." A little bit of anger appears in the tone of my voice.

"Well, what else do we do? That's who we are." He playfully winks at me. He gently traces a glass cup with his index finger. My eyes follow his finger movements.

The bartender hands me my sprite, breaking my stare. I gulp it down. The fizz burning the back of my throat.

"You're not drinking tonight?" Gabriel asks, scooting his chair closer to mine. He lifts his finger off of the glass, and places his hand on his leg.

"No. I don't drink." I tried my best to keep my eyes fixed onto his face. How could I not? He's beautiful. I can see how that human wanted him.

"I'm sure you don't, love." 

The silence between the both of us replaces with the chanting of noisy humans at the bar. The excitement they feel rubs off of them, and surrounds the rest of the club. My mouth waters, but I quickly take another sip of my sprite to cover up my hunger. 

"Did you want anything?" I ask with irritation in my voice. 

"Now that you ask, feed with me." 

I laugh, "Oh my gosh. You must be out of your mind." 

He keeps a straight face, and doesn't crack a smile. 

"Sorry. I don't feed with people like you." 

"Don't you mean you don't feed with free souls like myself. I'm aware it's called a Semper libera." 

"Oh, you speak Latin. That's great." I say nonchalantly. I turn forward away from him, and trace my index finger around the edge of the glass cup. 

"I can do a lot more than speak Latin. Call me if you're up for it." He smiles, then disappears into the crowd. 

Kayla appears and sits in the chair he left, "Hey. Was he bothering you?"

I chuckle, "No. We were just talking." 

Kayla nods, "I'm dead tired. Ready to head home?"

I grab onto Kayla as we walk back into the crowd, and head for the door. Kayla sways back and forth, almost as if she's drunk. She was feeding earlier. I can smell it. I don't question the smell, but focus on getting out of the club. This club gave me many different vibes, and I bet I smelled like human.