Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Revelations

All Rights Reserved 

Unedited  

I kicked my feet against the bar stool taking long swig of my vodka, almost spitting it out, it tasted like rubbing alcohol to me. Then again I was never a big drinker. The bar didn’t technically open until later but I had a copy of the key and nowhere to go. It had been a struggle to get through this morning and I couldn’t stay in the apartment where Mike had been taken a minute longer. After hearing that Mike was kidnapped from our home my dad decided to relocate Joe to his house in the city; it was probably for the best Mike’s parents were devastated, Granddad had been emitted to the institute and honestly I wasn’t capable of raising my four year old brother on my own. Our home was no place for a young child.

There was good news, Officer Paisley had phoned to inform us that my granddad would be examined and if he was found to be sane, he could return to civilisation. I had no doubt my grandfather would pass whatever tests they gave him, he was the most level-headed man I knew.

I heard a knock on the glass window

“We’re closed!” I yelled not bothering to look up at the window, the knocking persisted and I twisted around on the bar stool to face the window. Officer Paisley stood outside the door, he looked extremely tense. I couldn’t blame him; this neighbourhood wasn’t exactly the safest, especially to officers like him, with his fancy suit and designer suitcase. I walked up to the glass door and flicked open the lock, before wordlessly returning to my seat and taking another sip from my glass. I heard the door open and the thud of his footsteps as he walked towards me. I watched from my peripheral vision as he sat himself heavily onto the barstool.

“Did you find him?” I asked eagerly and straight to the point because unless he had I wasn’t interested in what he had to say.

“Not exactly,” he said, reaching over the counter to grab a glass and helping himself to the bottle of vodka, which sat next to me. I took another sip of the cold liquid. “We have a few new leads, I’m here to set up an appointment with you to see if you have any other information that can be helpful-“

“You came all this way to set up an appointment?”

“No I came on… personal matters but thought I would drop in,” he told me, taking a large gulp from his glass. I nodded, half curious as to what his personal matters were but I presumed it would be inappropriate to ask; the way he was drinking it would all come pouring out soon anyway.

“What are your new leads on Mike?” I asked casually trying to play down the burning curiosity within me.

“It’s classified,” I studied his face carefully but it was like a blank wall.

“So… officer Paisley, what were your personal matters?” I asked maybe if I could loosen him up, perhaps get him a little drunk he would loosen his lips about Mike.

“Please call me Cole and I used to live round here,” he said “Got two brothers up the road, thought I would drop off some money, out of the three of us I'm the only one with a proper job,”

“Who are your brothers? Maybe I know them?” I asked, most people round here stopped by the bar.

“Tucker,”

“And Jason,” I finished dismally; Jason was one of the scariest people I had ever met and I had met some real creeps. He was supposedly a major drug dealer and everyone was pretty sure he was responsible for countless murder, he tended to leave his victims strung up in public places as ‘warnings’, any witnesses were to afraid to come forward. In all honesty he would probably never get caught because the truth was the guards, who replaced policeman 17 years ago; they sort of sucked at crime solving. Most efforts went into protecting the human division from werewolves and don’t get me wrong I was thankful but how are we supposed to protect ourselves from the beasts if we cant even protect ourselves from each other.