Chapter Two - Missing In Action

War With the Werewolves

Chapter 2

 Unedited (sorry)

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”

Albert Camus

I woke up groggily inhaling Mike’s warm familiar scent as his arms engulfed me. I squeezed his biceps so he would let me go but he murmured incoherently pulling me closer to him. He nuzzled my neck as he fell back into his slumber. I turned around so I was facing him and leaned in kissing him on the corner of his plump pink lips, slowly trailing little kisses down his pale skin. His silky, light brown almost blonde hair spilled over onto his forehead barely reaching his long eyelashes, which framed his closed eyes.

I blew lightly on his face hoping to escape his grip; he scrunched up his nose adorably.

“Nooo, stop it” he whined like a little child. Pulling me tighter

“Hey let up I gotta take Joey to school,” I told him fighting to keep the smile out of my voice.

“Nooo you’re so warm and cuddly,” he said pulling me closer and nuzzling my neck.

“Sage,” I heard my granddad croak from the door of his room. The wrinkles around his mouth crinkled into a familiar smile when he saw Mike and I tangled together in the sheets.

“Joey’s dressed, I’ve packed his bag, you better get him some breakfast and take him to school”. Mike, who was suddenly awake, pulled me impossibly closer to his body

“You look too sleepy to go,” he murmured

“Do you want to take him?” I asked, already knowing his answer

“No, I’m never going back to that school!” he declared his expression similar to a petulant child. I snickered at his melodramatic behaviour and unravelled myself from the soft haven of the couch.

“Why not? Don’t you like school?” Joey piped up, emerging from his and my granddads shared bedroom.

“I was bullied,” he said, sitting up on the sofa; I snickered at him. “By her!” he said, pointing an accusing finger at me. I raised my hands in surrender

“What were u expecting? Your last names Krotch! You can’t blame me for your parents sense of humour,” I said feigning innocence, Joey looked momentarily confused but still surveyed us with amusement as I poured him some coco pops. Mike stretched out along the sofa, which faced the kitchen counter.

“I don’t know why I put up with all this abuse!” he said shaking his head fighting to keep his tone serious.

“Because you looovee me,” I sang out childishly. He glared at me playfully coming over to the kitchen table and wrapping his pale arms around me. “It could have been worse, your last name could have been Hunt…” I said. A moment later he registered my words and I felt him tickle my side in response and I convulsed uncontrollably, an unattractive laugh bellowed out of me as I fell to the floor.

“See what I have to put up with?” he told Joey, who gave him an impish grin, showing off his missing tooth.

“Eat up, or we’ll be late,” I told my younger brother before running into our bathroom as soon as I saw Granddad vacate it. I showered and got ready as quick as possible, putting on my usual work uniform, black high-waist shorts and a white, low-cut blouse. I walked out of the bathroom grabbing a plate and popping a piece of toast into my mouth