Prologue

Song: Hostage by Billie Eilish

'Tis safer to be that which we destroy
Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.
- Lady Macbeth

"Don't do this," she pleaded, red eyes fixated on the pistol quivering against my palm. Her lips were parched and she spoke with a sense of dryness, "Please," she tried to run her hands through her disgruntled black locks but the shackles around her wrists stopped her, "Nora, Nora, look at me," I clutched the cold handle of the pistol, looking her dead in the eye, "Nora, you are better than this," she choked, tears cascading down her flaky cheeks.

I smirked at her frail body as she reached out to kick me, catching her leg effortlessly and shoving it into her hip until a satisfying crack was heard. My low chuckle drowned under her screech of pain.

"Iris, please," she fell to her knees, fingers laced between each other, head bowed.

I walked closer to her, returning the pistol back into my holster. "Okay," my slow word caught her attention. I crouched down at her eye level, "I won't kill you," her pupils dilated in surprised anticipation, "yet."

"Y-yet?" she asked, flinching.

"Stand up." She obeyed me, head still hanging low. I followed her lead, straightening out. The tendrils of her white dress were wet with mud, the pendant around her neck had cracked with impact and the backs of her white heels were broken. Although she looked washed up, she was still a sight of beauty. She looked stunning. So stunning that I almost changed my mind about waiting to kill her.

"W-what next?" she asked in a hope entranced voice.

"Next?" I cocked my head to the side, "next, we play."

"P-play what?" I undid the shackles, revealing the red sores around her wrists. I watched as she timidly tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear. Sighing, I undid my mass of brown and handed her the hair tie. She quickly tied her hair into a nonchalant bun.

I leaned in against her ear, securing my hands on her waist, "Hide and seek," I whispered, my lips flying upwards at the corners, "we're playing hide and seek."