Chapter Nine

The two vampires watched as the sun slowly begin to rise in the distance. The air smelled of fresh human blood as they watched a few of the humans leave the facility to walk to their cars, driving off to be home with their families. Only a few cars stayed behind, probably the people who ran the whole thing.

The red haired vampire smirked evilly, licking her lips as she purrs to her son. "It looks like we'll get a little snack while we are here." Her statement was short lived as two cars pulled up, revealing different humans in uniform. "What?" She hissed, aggravated that there was so many humans in the way of her task. "No!"

"Mother what is it?" Riley questioned, his eyes peering over a branch to try and see what was going on.

Victoria didn't answer, instead she growled for him to follow her to the side of the building. Not being seen, they crouched low by the door. "Now Riley, once the human opens the door, we attack. Go for the two men towards the back, and I'll take care of the one in the front. Then I'll slip inside and get daddy." Riley nodded, his eyes turning black as he went into his hunting stance. His sharp teeth became bare as a snarl started to form in the back of his throat.

The four armed men walked by them, completely oblivious of the dangers that were hiding two feet away. They had guns hanging around their necks, useless bullets that could only dream of penetrating their diamond hard skin. Once the first man punched in the security code and the door slid open, the vampires attacked.

Riley was the first one to be seen. He sprang from the corner and with lightning speed, appeared by the two males in the back. Snapping their necks before they even realized he was there. He disappeared once they dropped to the ground, all life drained completely from their bodies.

"What the fuck?" One of the other men shouted, lifting his gun with shaking hands towards the two dead bodies that use to be his buddies. Then before he could blink, a green blur flashed in front of him. Riley stood there, his hand on the gun as he rips it away from the weak human. He was a full head taller than the pathetic human, causing fear to pulse through the weaker link.

"You're dead," Riley whispered, his face turning into a snarl as he leaps forward to sink his teeth deep into the human's fragile warm flesh. The man screamed as he felt the intense burning feeling of the venom coursing through his body. He was drained in less than a minute; Riley's eyes burning bright red as he dropped the body to the ground. His burning gaze turned in time to see his mother throw the first male against the concrete wall, a loud crack was followed after as the human's spine was snapped in two. "Ouch," Riley commented, grinning as he watched his mother slip into the facility undetected.

"She's here," James yelled towards the den Edward and Bella occupied. In less than a second, they were by his side. Bella was perched onto Edward's back, holding onto him as tight as she could.

"Where?" Edward asked, his ears opened wide as he tried to listen for the alarm that would surly ring.

Nothing was heard except for the soft beating of their hearts. Suddenly, the door to the lab flew open, revealing a blood covered vampire. A tall fiery red haired female was standing there, her eyes bright red were locked on James.

"Victoria," the blond vampire elated, his body instinctively told him to go to his mate. Meters away, Victoria beamed with happiness as she sprinted towards her mate.

But before she could jump into James's arms, the sound of a gun was heard and a dart had placed its self directly into Victoria's back. With a loud hiss, Victoria turned on her heels to growl deadly at the one human she forgot to kill. She was about to leap for him, when suddenly the world began to spin; the drug was taking its effect.

"No!" James growled as he saw his beloved mate slowly began to falter and hit the ground beneath her. He was by her side in a flash, a vicious growl exploding from his chest as he crouched over his motionless mate. In one swift leap, James grabbed the human's head and ripped it clean off his shoulders. Throwing it to the side, James picked up his mate, cradling her to his chest. "Let's go," he snarled towards the other vampire couple, running out of the room.

Edward took a deep breath, the smell of human blood made his throat burn. He pushed down the urge, the safety of his mate was much more important. As they passed the dead body, Edward grimaced at the bloody scene. The lab where he had been taken to countless time had been completely destroyed. There were multiple dead bodies. All men in uniform but no one he recognized. The scientists were also not present, neither was Jackie. Maybe she had gone home, Edward hoped, peering around the discarded mess for his caretaker.

Bella whimpered from behind him, her face was pressed deeply into his shoulder. "Edward please let's go, I can't spend another minute in here," she complained, holding her breath.

Edward quickly left the room, forgetting that his precious mate was not as strong when it came to holding down the bloodlust.

Once they found the exit, Edward slowed. He stopped at the door, breathing in the fresh air he had missed ever so much. He took a step out, feeling the cool wind blow through his hair. The sun was still rising, ready to warm the earth. Bella giggled, lifting her head up from her mate to take a breath herself. "It feels like forever since I've truly been outside. It feels amazing," Edward rejoiced, spreading his arms wide apart as he takes it all in.

"Come on Edward, let's leave before more humans arrive," Bella reminded him, hopping off his back to run towards the forest. Edward grinned widely, catching up to her in no time.

They eventually caught up with James and his coven a few miles away. They were huddling under a large tree; James and another male were crouching over the red haired female. When Edward stepped into view, both vampires hissed aggressively, thinking he was another human. Once James realized it was Edward, he fully relaxed, looking back down at his sleeping mate. The other vampire though, kept a solid glare upon the larger male.

"Calm Riley, he is no threat to us," James told him, placing a hand on his son's shoulder.

Edward narrowed his eyes at the younger male, noticing he was indeed, unmated.

Behind him, Bella peeked over his side, watching with curious eyes. Riley immediately switched his eyes to the female, taking a deep breath that captured her scent. Edward watched the male intently, a growl rumbled in his chest as he stepped in front of Bella to block his view of her.

James noticed and hissed at his son, "Stop, you know better than to go for a female already mated."

Riley clenched his teeth, the feeling of overwhelmed desire came crashing upon his shoulders the moment he smelled the sweet scent of the brown haired female. "But father," Riley barked, his eyes turning in a shade of coal black. "I want her."

"You touch her, your dead!" Edward roared, stepping back to push Bella further away from the young naive male.

Riley rose to his feet, his hands clenched in tight fist as he glared at Edward.

Edward snarled back; crouching low, ready for his attack.

However, Riley never moved. James flashed in front of him, slamming his hands on his shoulder to push him back. "Enough!" His father shouted, anger burning from his pupils. "She is not your mate!"

Riley snapped his eyes to his father, jumping back into reality. The young vampire shook his head, his eyes slowly turning back to its normal red. "Is she going to be okay?" he asked, looking down at his mother.

Edward spoke up; his voice was low and filled with authority. "Your mate will be alright, the drug will eventually wear off and she will awake." He slowly straightened up, his eyes still locked onto the rival male as he speaks to James. "I am forever grateful for what your coven has done for me and my new mate. We have been locked in there for quite awhile, and probably would have never gotten out if it weren't for you. If there is anything I could do, you name it," he offered, his lips pulled in a tight line.

James bowed his head to Edward, a sign of respect to another male. Edward mimicked the gesture. "My family is a nomadic coven, we like to travel. I have heard of a powerful coven that is permanently stationed in the state of Washington. They hold a bunch of land that is impassable; do you happen to know them?"

Edward lightened at the mention of his family, "Yes, that is my coven," he remarked.

James raised an eyebrow, surprised. "Really? Then when you return, can you tell your leader to let us pass through? It will be a greater journey to go around the territory then it would be to go right through it."

"Consider it done," Edward agreed, "But we have females, and your unmated son will most likely will not be welcomed; unless he can keep his eyes to himself." Riley hissed slightly.

James snapped his teeth toward his ignorant son. "Do not worries, by then he will know better," James defended, looking over to his son who was glowering down at the ground.

"Our agreement is settled, we shall be leaving now. But before we go, can you tell us where we are?" Edward asked, not sure if the nomadic vampires would know.

Shaking his head, James shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine. We don't pay much attention when we move around."

Edward sighed, "Alright, thank you again for your help. Tell your mate we are extremely grateful for her bravery."

After saying good bye, Edward and Bella headed towards the mountains, hoping to find a cave they could say in until they could figure out where they were.

The vampire couple traveled swiftly through the woods, the female slightly in front as the male ran carefully behind her. Bella moved gracefully, happy to finally have stretched her legs. Edward had wanted to carry her, but she insisted that she should get a good run first. They covered a few miles before Bella finally felt tired. The sun was still bright in the sky, glaring down at them with rays that reflected off their skin.

"Alright Edward," Bella panted, leaning up against a tree. "You can carry me now," she giggled, holding out her arms for him.

Edward smiled brightly, wasting no time in picking up his mate. "About time," he joked playfully, beginning to sprint towards a large mountain.

Bella snuggled into Edwards's chest, trying to hold down her hair as the wind from the vampire speed blew through her chocolate locks wildly. Finally they arrived at the massive rock that stuck out of the earth. Edward placed Bella down on the ground. "Stay here," Edward commanded. "I'm going to look for a cave we can stay in till tonight.

Bella nodded, wrapping her arms around her. "Hurry back!" She called out to him, watching as he looks back to give her a wink.

Then she was alone.

Bored, Bella sat down on a large rock that was placed on the side of the steep mountain. She took another rock and began to carve drawings into the side of the mountain, blocking out the world as she continues to dig the boulder.

A loud snap of a twig from behind the female was heard, the bushes rustling as the larger figure moved out of the tree line.

"Back already?" Bella questioned, not taking her eyes away from the flower she had drew.

"Missed me that much love?" A masculine voice interrogated, a voice that wasn't her Edward's.

With a hiss, Bella jumped up from her rock, her back pressed firmly against her drawing. "Riley, what are you doing here?"

The blond vampire smiled, opening his arms out in a romantic gesture. "I've come to retrieve my mate," he stated simply, as if he were asked what kind of blood he like.

"I belong to Edward," she informed darkly, her hair bristling.

Riley snickered, "Well I don't see him," he drawled, dramatically looking around.

"He'll be here any second, and then you'll be sorry for leaving your parents, little boy," Bella sneered, slowly creeping her way to the edge where the rock wall had cut off.

Riley narrowed his eyes. "I'm hardly little," he miffed, his eyes following her as she moved.

Scoffing, Bella rolled her eyes. "Please, you're tiny compared to my mate. How old are you anyway?"

"18," Riley bit out, his teeth clenched and his lips pulled in a tight line.

Bella laughed out loud, "a child," she confirmed, finally making it to the corner.

Riley snarled, outraged. He was about to leap for the female when suddenly his windpipe had suddenly been crushed.

"Edward," Bella breathed; relieved her plan of stalling time had worked.

Growling deeply, Edward tightened his hold on the gasping male who tried desperately to scratch Edward's hand away. "You've made a dangerous mistake," he seethed, his grip tightening as the diamond hard skin slowly begins to crack. Riley tried desperately to get away, but his struggles only increased the pain. "What made you think you had a claim to my mate?" he snarled.

The young vampire tried to speak, but he choked on his words as he tried to take a breath of air. "Answer me!" Edward demanded, flinging Riley against the mountain side, causing loose rocks to crumble down.

Riley stumbled trying to reach his feet, his hands grasping his throat as the skin started to heal. Bella took this time to take shelter behind Edward, her tiny body finding itself on a tree branch. She remembered her father's warning about interfering with a fight between two males. How sometimes males can't stop when they are in a rampage and might accidentally hurt her without knowing it. So she stayed far enough away to be safe, but close to see her mate.

Edward slowly stalked towards the male, his lips pulled up in a snarl. "I-I..." Riley tired speaking, but throat hadn't completely healed.

Edward slapped a hand against his chest, slamming the smaller male hard against the solid matter behind him. Bringing his face down towards the blond vampire, Edward's growls lowered in volume as he speaks in a low deadly voice: Their noses almost touching as they hissed in each other face. "You ever show your face around me and my mate, I will rip your head off. Is that understood?"

Riley nodded slightly, his glares not subsiding. "Good." Edward then let Riley go, making him fall to the ground in a loud thump. "Tell your father our plans have changed. Tell him that you, his son, has screwed it up. And by keeping you alive, I have fulfilled my gratitude."

With that Edward turned his back on the male, his body immediately going to the tree that occupied his mate. He looked up into the branches, finding Bella holding tightly onto the centerpiece of the tree. His face was still hard when he opened his arms up for her; anger from the encounter with Riley was still burning. "Come mate," he ordered.

Bella didn't say anything, slipping off the tree to fall into Edward's waiting arms. In a flash they were off, leaving the broken male to crawl to his feet.