Chapter 24 - The Way Home

This was clearly the absolute worst idea that had popped into Binny’s mind. But since it was the only idea that had popped into her mind, it was also the best. The approaching sounds of the guards’ footsteps sealed the deal. She was out of time, so it was this or nothing.

In some ways this would be easier than the Hippy Jump she’d yet to complete successfully on her skateboard back at home. All she had to do was land on the floor past the barricade without cracking her head open. But there were some new wrinkles as well. She would be trying to keep her balance atop a serving cart. Unlike her skateboard the cart was not exactly steerable. And to top it off, the jump would be several feet higher than anything she’d ever tried on the sidewalk. 

It was too late to worry about that now. Binny crawled out from under the table cloth and slowly wheeled the cart down the ramp to a flat section about 30 feet from the barricade. She did her best to remain undetected by staying directly underneath the guards as she moved, and desperately willing the wheels of the cart not to squeak.

Binny perched the cart right at the edge of the flat area just before it started its downward slope. She placed her hands on the cart’s sides and kicked off. Even Binny was surprised when the cart started to slowly roll on a trajectory towards the barricade as she’d envisioned. Binny lay flat on her stomach on the cart as it continued to roll. 

“Sir, I think I found her!” Binny looked up and to her left and saw four faces peering over the edge of the railing above. It was too late to worry about the guards. If Binny didn’t get on her feet, she’d crash headfirst into the barricade. She barely heard Grater scream, “Get her!!!”

The incline wasn’t terribly steep but the cart picked up speed at a surprisingly rapid pace. Binny had less time than she’d imagined. She pulled her feet under her, gripping the sides of the cart, and managed to get herself into a crouch.

Binny knew she would have to stand up at some point soon if she had a prayer of making it over the wall of benches and chairs. Suddenly this seemed a lot less like riding her skateboard than she’d imagined in her head. Binny was barely aware of the four men running towards her. She was however acutely aware that she would either escape or they would scrape her broken bloody body off of the floor. She wasn’t entirely sure which.

Binny willed herself to let go of the sides of the cart and slowly rose as the cart sped down the ramp. Everything was moving so quickly, she leaned forward into the descent, and was ready to jump. The wall was approaching so fast. She had to time it just right. In a couple of seconds she would be there.

At the very last moment before contact, Binny bent her knees slightly and launched herself over the wall. For a crazy magical fraction of a second Binny was flying. But as quickly as it came the sensation receded and Binny was falling. One thought flashed in her mind – it was going to be an ugly landing.

While countless attempts at skateboard tricks hadn’t quite taught her how to complete a successful Hippy Jump, she had attained one skill and could do it flawlessly over and over again. Binny knew how to fall.

Binny instinctively bent her knees and stretched her torso backwards so she wouldn’t land flat on her face. And then as if by some miracle, the soles of Binny’s sneakers hit the floor first. The momentum of her fall carried her forward, but she shot out her hands to avoid smacking the floor with her face. She was stretched out on all fours, her right ankle felt wobbly, and her palms were burning, but she had come to a complete stop.

The cart had not made the trip over the wall with her. It had smashed violently into the barricade. The guards’ wall had survived the projectile, but Binny’s makeshift skateboard had bounced backwards and made a very loud crashing noise as it clattered across the marble floor.