Moleskine, pt. 2

AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING, GINNY CALLED.

"She's in Manhattan. Or at least, the phone is. She made calls from there last night, and sent a few texts in the last few hours. She's still there, on the West Side, making calls from somewhere inside the triangle of cell towers in Chelsea, Greenwich Village, and TriBeCa."

"Gin, you're amazing."

"I do what I can. Now go find her," she said. "Meanwhile, I'll get back to Noah and Ben who are, by the way, a shit ton of work. These kids are stubborn. Sadie should have mentioned that."

"They're related to Sadie. What did you expect?" I joked.

"Funny, Polly," she said as she hung up.

I woke Sadie up immediately. "Gin says Sam is in Manhattan right now. We have to go."

"What? How?" she said sleepily.

"I'll explain, but get up. And don't think about it, don't try to find her in your mind, so she doesn't know she's been found. Let's go. Now."

"How long do you think it will take us to drive there with traffic?" she asked.

"We don't have time to drive. We need to try something," I said, gambling with my own life. "We need to see if you can bring me with you when you teleport."

"What? That's crazy!" she argued. "We have no idea if that will work. What if something happens to you?"

"Look, it should work. You take stuff with you when you teleport. Why is a person any different?"

She debated for a second. "Fine. I have to put on clothes. Close your eyes."

I did as she asked. About four seconds later, she said, "Okay. Let's go."

She reached out for me and took my hand. "Shouldn't we try this with an animal first? Isn't that what they do on TV?"

"Sadie, just do it," I barked, pretending a confidence I didn't feel. I mean, I was pretty confident.

"Where am I going?" she asked.

"Somewhere we won't get noticed on the lower West Side. Doable?"

She nodded and closed her eyes. She was terrified.

Then all of the sudden we were standing in an alleyway behind Cole's building, a landmark she could aim for, I assumed. At the sight of me, she reached out and felt my arms, my chest. "Oh my god, it worked. You're okay!" She thrust her arms around my neck and hugged me, and when I put her down, she jumped up and down a bit. "I can't believe it!"

"Neither can I," I said. That was the biggest, stupidest risk I'd taken in a while, and it had totally paid off. "Okay, remember. I'm tracking her. You're trying not to think about it."

"Got it."

"And Sadie?"

"Yeah?"

"Good job not killing me."