The End, pt. 2

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER, WHEN THE KITCHEN WAS CLEANED AND I HAD PUT Good Morning America on mute because of some talk about a Real Housewives show that I really had no patience for, my mind was too idle again

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER, WHEN THE KITCHEN WAS CLEANED AND I HAD PUT Good Morning America on mute because of some talk about a Real Housewives show that I really had no patience for, my mind was too idle again. I tried to decide what to do with my day. It would have to be something that had nothing to do with my Survivor life. Not research. Not even reading. Just . . . something else entirely.

I looked around the room, trying to think of the appropriate distraction. My Moleskine notebook stared back at me from the coffee table. I hated it the most. I tried diligently to ignore the most recent list I'd written in it and pored over every day since I'd arrived in Manhattan.

The list of my questions about Raven, all of which arose from our cryptic conversation that night in Xoxocotlán. A conversation in which Alexander Raven had claimed to be the most powerful creature on earth, with one exception.

Vampiric inbreed. What did he mean?
What could be more powerful than he is?

A conversation in which he'd threatened the lives of everyone I knew and loved, a conversation in which he promised to come after us. I needed to learn how to come after him first.

How do we find him? HOW? Could we track

Sam (even though we never have before?)

A conversation in which he revealed to me his plan to kill each of the Survivors for his or her powers. Like he apparently had done to all his families. For the last four thousand years.

And WHY? Why do you need power other than for battle?

What is he planning?

A conversation in which he'd claimed I was part human, thereby informing me that I may already be what I'd wanted to be all along. Telling me that there may really be a way to die. And telling me of his plans to procreate with me to fill a world with . . .

Does that make me some kind of half-human hybrid? Why does he care? Why would he want half-humans? And quarter-humans? (What would happen if I were . . . pregnant? What kind of offspring would I have?)

A conversation in which I learned that he knew too much about me, or had maybe heard of me before in ways I couldn't understand.

He called me "Pretty Girl." Like nosferatu,
like eretica, like Sam. What does it mean?

A conversation in which he'd claimed to have inherited his skills, powers, and weaknesses from Achilles in the Trojan War. That's how Survivors got their proverbial Achilles' heel. Because Raven had supposedly received this weakness upon killing Achilles, just like he had acquired some of Achilles' other curses.