Chapter 9 (Secrets)

Chapter 9

Secrets

*Arabella*

Derek's voice is the first thing I hear when I wake up, though he's not talking to me. The opening to the tent is only partially zipped, just allowing me to see Derek standing outside with his phone to his ear. I thought we'd agreed to no cell phones on this trip. Mine is still in the car.

"No." Derek says angrily. "You said two weeks. That's what was promised to me." I sit up and run my fingers through my messy hair before scooting to the edge of the tent opening. Who is he talking to and why is he so upset? It can't be a job offer with a tone like that. "The answer is no. Get one of your errand boys to do it for you. I have another week." He hangs up and curses under is breath as he runs his hand through his hair.

What did he need two weeks for? He hasn't mentioned anything happening in the next week. Then again, he hasn't mentioned much to me. As usual, I'm completely in the dark when it comes to his life.

I climb out of the tent and walk up behind him. He doesn't hear me as I approach and tenses as I wrap my arms around his waist. I rest my head against his back and listen to his breathing.

"Good morning." I say softly. He doesn't reply. "We agreed to no phones." I remind him gently.

"It was important." He responds stiffly. "I had to take it."

"Who was it?" I ask hesitantly, already getting a bad feeling about the upcoming conversation.

"No one." He removes my arms from around him and moves towards the tent. I stare after him, feeling rejected and confused. I hate when he's like this. I've just overheard part of his conversation and it's obvious that something is wrong, yet he continues to shove me further into the dark. I don't understand why he never talks to me.

"Derek." I say as I follow him to the tent. He climbs inside and sits on the floor before he starts to pack up our sleeping bags. "What was that phone call about?" I ask.

"Nothing." He answers, not bothering to look at me. "Don't worry about it."

"So you expect me to pretend I didn't just hear you arguing with someone over the phone? What's happening in another week?" He doesn't respond as he continues to pack up. I bite my lip in frustration. "Who was on the phone Derek? What did they ask you to do? Why did you say no? What happens in a week? Why haven't you mentioned meeting with your friends? Why did I have to hear from one of them that you're not adjusting well? Why do I have so many unanswered questions about what's going on with you?" I snap as my frustration finally gets to me. In the past I sat back and let him have his secrets. We were just teenagers dealing with things way above our maturity level. Things are different now. We're adults. We've been together for over five years and share a home. We should be closer than this, but this stupid brick wall is still between us. My patience is wearing thin.

"I don't want to argue." He says calmly. "Let's just pack up and go, okay?"

The calmness of his voice turns my frustration to anger. He's not going to crack. He's become so used to lying, his conscience has disappeared. He has no regret when it comes to lying to me. I don't think I can take it anymore.

*Derek*

This trip went from great to terrible in an instant. I lied about keeping my phone in the car because of our promise, but I had to keep it on me for reasons like this. I didn't expect Gavin to call, but he did, and Arabella overheard something she wasn't supposed to. I can't fix this. I don't know how to fix this. If I can't figure out a way, she's going to slip away from me and I don't know what I'd do then.