the snap

"Something is happening," Mantis suddenly murmured

     Glancing up slowly, Kennedy blinked blearily as her vision slowly cleared, her last tears having fallen long ago as she ran out of them. Watching as Mantis's body quaked as if it were a leaf dancing in the wind, Kennedy couldn't help but let out a shriek of horror as, incredibly abruptly, the woman's body turned to dust as she vanished.

"Mantis?" Blaise stepped forwards tentatively, terrified.

      "Quill?" Drax's voice was soft as he stared at his arm, turning to his leader as suddenly, he too turned to dust.

     "Oh my God," Kennedy was breathing heavily. "What — What the hell is happening?"

      "Steady, Quill," demanded Tony as he walked towards Quill, the man looking shaken beyond belief.

     "Oh, man," were Quill's last words of despair as his own body crumbled.

"Quill?" Blaise looked on the verge of a panic attack as her breath lodged in her throat, clearly confused and shocked beyond belief. "Where did they go? Where did they go?"

     Horror filled Kennedy's body as she began to shake violently, a sweeping tidal wave of anxiety rising up within her as her grip tightened furiously around Peter's. Disbelief flooded her body as her eyes were wide in panic, flying around, searching for the next victim of Thanos's cause before they landed on Strange as he began to speak.

     "Tony," said Dr. Strange slowly, shaking his head as Tony turned to him in horror. "There was no other way... " with those final words, Dr. Strange's body turned to ash and dust as it completely crumpled into nothingness.

"Where did they go?" Blaise repeated in terror and then suddenly, her legs had begun to rot away as she too was swept off into oblivion.

     "Kennedy?"

      Looking up to the boy whose hand she was holding, Kennedy was already shaking her head desperately, her eyes filling with unshed tears as she stared up at Peter in horror. His own eyes were wide with panic as the hairs on his arms stood straight up, his breathing already becoming faster as he gazed at Kennedy, fearful.

     "I don't feel so good," Peter was stumbling before he completely collapsed into her arms, his heart beating wildly against Kennedy's chest as she struggled to hold him upright.

     "No, Peter," Kennedy clutched at his body tightly, it was her turn to hold him. "No — you said you wouldn't let go."

     "I don't — I don't know what's happening," breathed out Peter, his body slipping from her grip as suddenly his stance crumbled, with him falling back onto the ground as Kennedy leaned over him, holding onto every part of him as much as she could, praying he wouldn't disappear. "Kennedy? don't want to let go!"