Chapter 9

I know it's been a long time since I've updated, and I'm really sorry.  I just haven't had the motivation.  Recently though, I received a signed copy of a book by a 22 year old published author.  Scholastic just puclished her first book which is pretty huge.  She even offered to give me tips to help me be able to become an author.  Needless to say, I'm determined to start writing again.  I already have the next chapter done, and I just need to edit it.  It'll be up in the next few days.  Thanks to whoever is still reading this!

Recap: Marie is a noble, and she snuck out of her house with her friend, Francois who is a commoner.  On her way back she saw her house burning down.  She made a huge spectacle and was taken to jail as a noble sympathizer.  Francois had told everyone that she was his cousin, Selene Benoit.  Marie spent only one night in jail before she was brought to the courtroom for her trial.  It was there that she saw Francois again.

Chapter 9

“Francois!” I yelled, relief filling me to the brim.  Confusion soon followed when a man entered the room behind Francois.  He looked like an older version of Francois, complete with a large curly beard.  I assumed that the man was Francois’s father.  Nerves bounced around in my belly as I thought of any possible reasons that he would be here.  Why was he attending my trial if I had never even met the man before in my life?

“Silence in the court!” the judge yelled, glaring at me while he banged his gavel.

I dipped my head apologetically while glancing at Francois through my eyelashes.  He gave me a slight nod and a smile which helped to ease my fluttering stomach.

The judge began to flip through some papers on his desk while Francois and his father took a seat on the side of the room.  “Let us begin,” he announced after a moment.  “The state is accusing Selene Benoit of being a noble sympathizer.  She is pleading ‘not guilty’ and Francois Benoit is here to speak on her behalf; is that correct?”

I glanced at Francois who gave me an encouraging smile.  “It is,” I nodded.

“Well then, Francois you may take the stand.”

Francois dipped his head and went to take a seat by the judge’s desk.

“I understand that Selene is your cousin?” the judge asked.

“That is correct, Sir.”

“Funny, but I didn’t know you had any cousins.”

“No one does.  You see, my father has a brother who left France a long time ago. He married a British woman and left his whole family to live with her in England.  For this reason, we disowned him and never mentioned him again.  Selene grew up not even knowing we existed.  However, a few weeks ago, she came across some pictures of my father and uncle when they were boys.  My uncle finally told Selene about us, and she immediately came to visit.”

“So Selene is British?” the judge questioned, glancing at me suspiciously.

“Partly, yes.  Although, to my understanding her father insisted that French be her first language rather than English.”

“So she does speak English as a second language?  Come Selene, say something for us.”

Francois’s eyes widened in panic, quickly realizing his mistake.  However, he didn’t know that I did speak a little bit of English.  My family insisted that my tutor teach me seeing as England was becoming more powerful each and every day.

“Hello, my name is Selene Benoit.” I spoke in English, hoping it would be adequate.

The judge glanced behind him to where three long tables sat, filled with peasants.  One particular peasant nodded his head, and the judge turned to face us once again.