VIII.

O8 | Pure Heroin

Exodus watched in fascination and slight disbelief as Gunplay stuffed an entire triple decker sandwich down his throat.

"You sure you not hungry?", he asked with a mouthful of food.

She shook her head "Nah...I'm okay."

On days like these when Fredo had no need for her, she often found herself in the company of either Rello, Gunplay-sometimes both-or Lolita on occasion.

"I never see yo ass eat. The fuck you living off of? Prayers?" Gunplay said shoving fries into his mouth.

Exodus grimaced before taking a sip of her drink. "Just because you don't see me eat doesn't mean I don't."

She watched as he slurped noisily from his soda before eating the last of his fries.

"Do you really have to eat like that?"

"Like what?" He asked as a particle of food flew out of his mouth and onto the corner of her lip.

"Oh my god eww! " Exodus shrieked reaching to grab a napkin out the dispenser.

"My bad. Chill out I got you." Gunplay licked the ketchup off two of his fingers and used them to flick the bit of food off of her lip.

Exodus knocked his hand away before scrubbing at the corner of her mouth viciously with the napkin. She had enough of him for one day. "I'm ready to go home now."

"Well you gone have to wait I have one more stop to make." They both stood as he left some money on the table.

After he had finally dropped her back to Fredo's pent house, Exodus collapsed face first into the couch. She could feel a headache coming on.

Her few moments of quiet was ruined by the shrill ringing of the iPhone that Fredo insisted she have. Groaning she leaned up, grabbing the phone out of her pocket and brought it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"I'm picking you up in thirty minutes. Be outside." Fredo said before hanging up.

Exodus rolled her eyes at her phone, my day was lovely to thank you for asking. Dragging herself from the couch she decided to freshen up and change clothes. By the time Fredo pulled up she was already outside.

Sliding into the passenger seat she adjusted her seat belt as he pulled off. She turned to look out the window as Fredo talked into his cellphone. She wondered if he ever took a break, if he ever slept. Probably not.

Pulling up to the club Fredo motioned for her to go in without him as he finished up his conversation. Exodus walked inside greeting one of the bouncers and immediately moved over to the closest wall. It had become a ritual to do this every time she came to the club. Resting both of her hands against the glass she watched the fishes swim curiously toward them in mindless wonder before darting away as quickly as they came.

Exodus stayed like this for a few more minutes before heading to Fredo's office. She took the stairs two at a time holding onto the railing. Opening the door she slipped in closing it behind her.

She moved behind the desk before sitting in his chair. She turned sideways propping her feet up on of the arms. Using one hand she gripped the edge of the desk and spun herself around. Quickly growing bored, she sat up drumming her fingers on the desk. Exodus bit her lip glancing at the closed door, deciding to be nosy she went through his drawers.

The first two held nothing of significance, the third held documents pertaining to the club-bills and things of that nature. The last drawer however was locked.

Removing a bobby pin from her hair bun she bit off the tiny black balls at the end of it before sticking it into the lock. She hadn't done this since she was a teenager and kept constantly forgetting her house key. Jiggling the bobby pin into the lock for a minute she finally heard a slight click. Tugging on the handle the drawer opened up to her.

Exodus was slightly confused. It was empty. She patted down the inside of the draw. Nothing. She ran her hands against the top of the draw smiling when they touched what felt like paper. Carefully she untaped it from its hiding place an held it up to her face. In her hands was an unsealed envelope. However she didn't have time to inspect it as she heard footsteps approaching.

Panicking she slammed the draw shut and stuffed the envelope on the inside of her leather jacket. Before the door opened she was already inside of her own chair, back straight, leg crossed over the other and her shaking hands clasped together in her lap.

Fredo gave Exodus a weird look as he stepped inside the room. She had a guilty expression on her face before she quickly masked it. He shrugged it off opening the door wider for the man behind him to step in.

Exodus curiously met the eyes of the man as he stared back at her in interest. She shyly looked away. Sure, he was dark tall and good looking but he gave her chills, and not in a good way.

Sitting in his chair Fredo noticed her sudden discomfort. "This is Caine, he runs my other club in New York...he handles business down there for me... I guess you can say he's my protege." Fredo chuckled.

"Weren't you the one that told me that mixing females in business tend to make things messy?" Caine said eyeing Exodus.

Fredo waved him off "It is..."

"Then-"

"I also said don't ask questions for things you don't need to know. Don't worry about her. She doesn't concern you."

Exodus saw the irritated look that passed over Caine's face before his face went blank. In the short time that she had known Fredo she realized that he seldom apologized for anything and had no regards for how he talked to people.

It went silent for a beat before Fredo began asking him questions about the club in New York and Exodus felt the tension in the air disappear.

Her eyes found themselves locked onto Caine's hand-his right hand to be exact- as if her mind were trying to remind her of something. On his pinky finger was a gold ring in the form of a snake. Its ruby red eyes winking at her.

She had definitely seen that ring before.