3. Anika

**Anika**

It’s been a while since I’ve actually done this, I think as I cautiously approach Theodore’s house. I took a deep breath, climbed the stairs to the porch, and rasped my knuckles against the mahogany door once, twice, three times. I tapped my foot nervously while I waited for an answer. I heard that Ted’s mom got out of the hospital. I wanted to see how things have been going around here.

“Ted!” I yelled through the door, but when someone finally answered, it wasn’t him.

“Can I help you?” I women with red and gray hair asked me. She was a plump women with a firm jaw and watery eyes. Not exactly Ted’s type--a little of the older side--but I suppose it’s nice to try everything once, even cougars.

“Ah, yes,” I said taking a step forward. I held an invitation envelope to me chest. “I’m looking for Theodore? Is he here?”

The women stood there for a moment and thought about it. I noticed she wore a St. Joseph’s hospital shirt. So, she’s not his piece of ass after all. What a shame, she looks promising in bed.

“Theodore left quite a while ago. I don’t know where he was headed, but it seemed urgent. Can I take a message for him? Perhaps you were going to give him that envelope?”

I had forgotten I held the envelope. It was an invitation to my birthday party. It’s not like he really needs them--both him and Honey know they are always invited to my parties--but last year they couldn’t even get through the gate to my yard without calling me to meet them personally. The men I hired to check people’s names off the list were complete imbeciles.

“Yes,” I said, handing it over to her. “Will you please give this to Ted for me and tell him I hope him and his mother are doing well. I’ll be over here later with Honey.”

“I’ll make sure to tell him.” She smiled. She didn’t have the best one I’ve ever seen but it was filled with charisma.

“Thank you,” I said as she closed the door and then I hopped back into my car, checking my watch to make sure I still had time. Yes, it’s only two o’ clock. That gives me twenty minutes to get to my audition.

*****

“Shit,” I cursed as I slid a sparkling black shirt over my head and push-up bra.

I struggled to get my pantyhose up my thighs and put my shoes on without killing myself in the back seat of my car. But it was impossible. By the time I was done changing into my outfit I had a head ache from banging my head against the sun roof.

“Dammit, I’m almost late!” I was beginning to panic. I pulled my ruffled, sparkling black skirt on and got the hell out of that car. I ran the entire way to the elevator, not caring about the crazy looks people gave me, and sprinted into the audition room with barely any time to spare.

The room was already full of girls stretching and talking to each other. I walked over to a corner, made sure my red stilettos were strapped on tight, and started to stretch myself, starting with simple ones and ending with my leg somewhere above my head.

Some of the girls in the studio I recognized as back up dancers to singers in music videos and dancers who have been in a few productions. The audition we all happened to be going for is an original piece called Mazes: A Musical. If I could get the lead role, or even a semi-lead role, I may have enough money to go to New York without my parents’ help--not to mention more experience that may help me get hired in New York.

All of a sudden the talking stopped. The casting director stood in front of us with a list in his hands. He began to do attendance to see how many of us are actually serious about this audition. When he called my number--not name--I shouted here confidently, almost too loudly, and was given a polite smile by him and snickers from the girls. I ignored them all. The only important thing to me right now is getting the role as Tabitha, not caring about what other people think of me.