4

After two more classes it was finally lunch. I went over the snack bar to grab a sandwich, water, and some chips to eat for lunch. I headed over to the table Stephanie and I usually sat at. I noticed Stephanie already sitting there with her lunch.

"There you are." She called out to me. I took a seat across from her. "So where's gorgeous Australian at?" She winked at me looking around for him.

"I don't know." I said unwrapping my sandwich, also slightly looking around for Ashton. "I haven't seen him since second period. He and Calum had third period together."

Stephanie groaned at the mention of Calum, "Please tell me Calum's not going to join us. God knows I won't be able to handle his evil glare."

"Well you kind of deserve it." I said taking a bite out of my food.

"Don't start." She said glaring at me.

"Sorry." I raised my hand in defense. I suddenly felt someone beside me.

"Hey." Ashton said smiling at me.

"Hi. You found us." I smiled back him.

"Yeah. This guy Luke helped me out." He said pointing to where Luke was at, who was sitting with Calum and Michael.

"Ew." Stephanie groaned.

"What's wrong with Luke?" Ashton asked sounding defensive over his new friend.

"He's such a creep." She said taking a sip out of her water.

"No he's not." I rushed to defend Luke. Luke was far from a creep, Stephanie only says that cause during Freshman year Luke moved here, and he had a huge crush on Stephanie. So he would find any reason to talk or see Steph, but not in the creepy way. Luke stopped doing all that at the end of Freshman year when Stephanie went off at him. Luke was actually a really nice guy, Steph just wrote him off after that.

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes at us, and continued eating her food.

"So, how were your classes?" I asked Ashton.

"They were really good. It's a lot different here than in Australia, but I'll get used to it." He smiled at me. His phone vibrated, "Sorry, I have to take this." He got up and walked a few feet to answer his phone.

"Do you think he'll go out with me?" Stephanie said cutting me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I asked a bit confused as why she would ask me that.

"Do you think he'll go out with me?" She asked again.

"Oh. I don't know." I hesitated. "I don't really think you're his type." I said looking down at my food, afraid of what Stephanie may say next.

"I'm everyone's type." She said looking over at Ashton who was still talking on the phone.

"I guess. It's just he's smart and I don't think he's into what you're into." I said looking over at him, at that moment he looked over, and we made eye contact, he gave me a smile.

"What exactly am I into Everly?" Stephanie raised her eyebrow at me.

"I just mean you like to party, and I don't think he really cares for that." I said turning my attention back to her. Yes Everly, keep digging that hole. Before Stephanie can respond Ashton was back sitting next to me.

"Sorry. That was my mum." He explained.

"No worries." I smiled.

"Mommy checking up on you." Stephanie made fun of him.

"She just wanted to see how my day was going. I'm not embarrassed about talking to my mother." He raised his eyebrow at Stephanie, shutting her up. He turned his attention back to me, "Hey I promised Calum I would go spend the last half of lunch with them, is that alright?" Why was he asking me for my permission.

"Yeah, it's okay. You don't have to ask me." I told him.

"I know." he grabbed his stuff and got out of his seat, and looked down at me, "By the way, you never gave me your number."

"What?" I asked a bit taken back by that.

"Yeah, your cellphone number. I'm going to need it to contact you." He grinned at me.

"Oh. Um okay." We exchanged cellphones to input each others numbers.

"I'll text you later." He gave me back my phone, he gave Stephanie a small nod goodbye, and he walked over to where the three boys were sitting at.

"Rude. He didn't ask me or my number." Stephanie said with an attitude. I just shrugged my shoulders at her and continued eating my food. Looks like a boy finally likes me and not her.

After lunch we only had two more periods left, sadly Ashton was not in any of those classes. My phone vibrated in the last 15 minutes of class, and the school day. The text was from Ashton:"Hey meet me by the big tree near 1st period."

I had a huge smile on my face and replied him with an okay. The last few minutes of class felt like they were moving at snail's pace. Finally, the final bell rang, signaling the first school day of the year was officialy over. I hurriedly grabbed my stuff and rushed out of the classroom to meet Ashton by the tree. I walked up to the tree and saw Ashton already there, talking to Michael.

"Hey." Ashton smiled when he say me.

"Hi. Hey Michael." I greeted both boys.

"Hey Everly. I better get going. I'll see you guys tomorrow." He waved us goodbye and headed to the student parking lot.

"So why did you want me to meet you here?" I asked, wondering why Ashton wanted to meet me.

"Just wanted to see you before you left." He smiled showing his white teeth. Gosh I could just die.

"Oh okay." I giggled and looked down at my shoes.

"Sorry. I'm probably being a little too forward. We just met and you barely even know me." Ashton began to ramble.

"Hey. It's okay." I cut him off. "It's just a bit unusual for me. No boy has ever showed any type of interest in me."

"Really?" He asked confused and shocked at my statement.

"Yeah. I mean they normally only see Stephanie." I said picking at my finger nails.

"Well they're missing out." He said lifting my head to meet his eyes. I blushed at the sudden contact between us. My phone buzzed ruining this moment, I gave him an apologetic smile, and looked down at my phone to see a text from my mom wondering where I was at.

"Sorry. I have to go, my mom is waiting for me." I put my phone back in my pocket.

"No worries. I have to go find my mum also before she sends out a search team." He laughed. I started walking away, but heard Ashton calling out to me and running towards me. "Sorry, I never told you the real reason why I wanted to meet you by the tree."

"Oh. Okay. Go ahead." I looked up at him towering over me, since I am only 5'2.

"I really want to get to know you Everly. There's just something about you that makes me want to know everything about you." He said genuinely. 

"I would like that also." I smiled up at him, probably blushing like crazy at this point.

"Okay. Cool. I'll call you later tonight." He smiled and walked away from me. I didn't notice how big I was smiling until I got into my mom's car and she gave me a weird look.

"Had a good day?" She asked me.

"You have no idea." I told her, smiling even bigger, if that was even possible.

----------------------------

I kind of liked how this came out. I'm trying to move the story along a little fast to get to the good stuff.

Thanks for reading :)