21

To say it was awkward between CJ and I would be an understatement. We hadn't said a word to each other for days after what happened at his house. I knew what he wanted me to say, but I still could not bring myself to say the words. I turned and looked at him his hoodie over his head as we sat in Ms. Brun's class. It would have been fine if we were not talking to each other and we did not see each other, but we did. We saw each other multiple times a day and we would sometime just stare at each other until one of us gave up. 

"I graded the tests," Ms. Brun said distracting me from my thoughts, "I am extremely disappointed," she added.

"You always are!" Justin shouted. Of course, Justin had to be the first to say something, but he was not lying. Ms. Brun was always disappointed after we took a test. "You can't expect every student to get an A, Ms. Brun," he added. He said her name in a playful manner, I guess they were now okay with each other.

"Well, Mr. Thompson," she said mocking him, "I don't expect everyone to get an A, a C would make me very happy," she said. "I will pass the tests, please look at it and review what you got wrong because I promise you, you will see these questions on your midterm and possibly the AP tests," she gave everyone a quick smile and grabbed the papers from her desk. I did not know why she was so disappointed; I for one knew that I did a very good job on the tests. She started passing the tests around and as usual, I heard groans and shouts of joy. 

She set mines in front of me, she patted my shoulders gently. I looked down at the paper as the big A she had put on it was circled. I only got a ninety percent, one point away from a B, but I was still proud of myself. I think I was finally catching up and keeping up in her class. She set CJ's paper down, I turned my head slightly to see what he got. There was a D on his paper, I turned to make sure I saw it properly and it was the same thing. I had never seen him get anything less than an A on anything. "CJ, see me after class," Ms. Brun said as she continued to pass out the papers. 

After everyone received back their tests, she went on to start her lesson. Class ended soon enough, CJ walked up to her desk asking her what's up. I slowly put my things away wanting to hear their conversation. Every student was out of the classroom now and it was silent. "How's your mother?" Ms. Brun asked him. 

"She's fine," he replied. She shook her head. 

"How's work?"

"Um... fine, I guess," she said. "Why?"

"Just trying to figure out why you are failing my test," she said in a disappointed tone. 

"It's not failing, it's a D," he replied like he was okay with the grade. "Besides this is an AP course, a D counts as a B," he said too proudly. 

"Do you hear yourself?" Ms. Brun asked him crossing her hand over her chest. "CJ, what's happening?"

"I'm sorry," he sighed, "I'm just a little distracted, can I possibly retake the test tomorrow?"

"I shouldn't," she said, "but I will because you are my favorite and I can not have my best student slacking off," she started. "CJ, you can't be-" She stopped and looked at me. CJ did the same turning around, I do not think any of them realized I was still here. "Bianca, I will see you tomorrow," she said in a stern voice pointing at the door. I took it as my cue and got out of her classroom.

''''''

The next morning I walked into Ms. Brun's classroom a minute before the late bell rung. Mostly everyone was already here, I took my seat quietly and turned to see Justin sitting in CJ's seat. "Why are you in CJ's seat?" I questioned. He gave me a quick smile.

"He asked me to switch seats with him," Justin answered, I turned and looked behind me to see CJ sitting at Justin's seat already writing down what Ms. Brun had on the board. Since when did he even talk to Justin? "Do not worry, sweetheart," Justin said passing his hand around my neck, "we are going to have a blast together," I nodded my head. Justin did always have something to say to make people laugh, I guess he could be a cool partner.  "We will joke, laugh, and most of all, live," he said with a smile.

"Okay class," Ms. Brun started. She froze when she noticed Justin and I; she looked at me then at Justin. Justin who might've noticed quickly removed his hand away from me. She looked at Justin and gave him a death glare.

"Ms. Brun," a student called making her remove her eyes from Justin. She walked to the student and asked what she wanted. 

"You are making your woman jealous," I told Justin. 

"Good," he replied, "maybe she'll understand how I feel when she goes on dates with nice and decent men," he said. I laughed, their relationship was so cute. 

''''''

It was nine on a Saturday and CJ was not here. I was hoping he was just late, but it was now official, he was not coming. I didn't know why I expected him to come when we had not spoken to each other all week. "Hey hon," my mom said entering the kitchen where I was sitting. "You and CJ not working today?" She asked.

"No," I answered her. She gave me a questioning look, but I gave her a small smile so she would not worry. 

"Okay, see you later, I have to go to get something downtown. Love you," she said kissing my forehead. "There is food in the fridge and if there is not enough, cook something," I chuckled knowing I would just order something to eat. She knew that also, I would never cook anything myself. I was too lazy for that; I watched as she exited the kitchen and after a few seconds I heard the door close.

I laughed out loud at a joke Dean said in Supernatural. Damn, why is he so funny? Why is he so perfect? I asked myself all these questions. I threw a popcorn in my mouth getting more comfortable on my sofa. Just then the episode finished and it said there weren't any more episodes. I frowned, I grabbed my phone and checked the time, it was already seven in the afternoon. I must've watched at least ten episodes. I tossed my blanket off and stretched my body. My mom was not back yet from her quest. 

I went to take a quick shower and ate something more than just popcorn. I then decided to go see CJ, he owed me an excuse for not showing up to our weekly tutoring. I rang the doorbell and stood to wait for him to answer. After a few seconds, the door opened. He had a smile on his face, but it quickly died down. "Hey," he said in a serious tone.

"Hi, you didn't show up to tutor me this morning," I said getting right to the point. 

"I'm sorry about that, I had to open at work today and I forgot to tell you I couldn't make it," he said. I nodded my head, "besides, you have been doing really well, I doubt you still need me to tutor you," he was right, I really did not need it, but it was still our thing. I looked forward to him tutoring me every week. 

"Yeah," I said, "you sure that's all?" I asked, "you switched seats," I said. 

"Yeah, I never really liked having a partner, I'm more of a solo learner," he said. "Plus you seem to like Justin being your partner, you guys spend your time laughing and talking," it was true. 

"Yeah, he's funny," I said. CJ nodded his head slowly, "CJ, I'm sorry, I did-"

"Listen, I have to go," he said pointing inside the house. I nodded my head, "I'll see you on Monday," and with that, he closed the door in my face.