Chapter 8

Why? Why do I have to be so shy? Why is Derek so outspoken? I make my way to the girls bathroom just down the corridor from the cafeteria.

As I entered the room, I walked over to the sink, leaning my hands on the edges as I faced down with my eyes closed.

"April?" I hear a voice call from outside. I don't answer. I don't really want to see anyone right now.

After a couple of minutes, I hear the bell go, but I'm not going anywhere. No way in hell. I hear the door open but stay where I am. The footsteps continue until suddenly they stop in their tracks. Slowly, I look up to see a girl I haven't seen before.

"Oh, sorry, I, Um, I didn't know, you were, um, I'll go somewhere else?" she muttered as she turned to leave.

"No it's okay, my names April," I said as she turned back around to face me. She had long golden hair that looked beautiful. She was wearing a pair of long skinny jeans and a hoodie jacket.

"Oh, I know, everyone knows. Your one of the new kids. Your in my English class. What your brother did was brave. Stupid but brave. Really stupid actually," yep, I know.

"Yeah, he's an idiot. Ugh, I don't think I can go back out there," I said leaning against the wall.

"Hey, you'll be fine. What class have you got next?" She asks as I pull out my schedule from my backpack.

Checking the paper, I tell her I have music.

"Wow, not many people have music. Only band geeks, but you don't strike me as that kind of person," she muttered, examining my face.

"Well there are a few other people who do music," she continued.

"Who?"

"Well, there's Dustin..." Dustin? What was that supposed to mean to me?

"Who's Dustin?" I asked.

"Well, um, he's sort of the guy who sort of knocked you over earlier." She muttered the last bit. Oh shit.

"Oh, that's Dustin,"

"Yeah,"

"Wait sorry but, what's your name?" I asked, completely forgetting to ask her.

"Oh, it's Charlotte. Charlie for short. only my friends call me that though."

"Well, Charlie, it's so nice to meet you!"

"Thanks April. Hey, the bell went a while back. We should probably head to class," my brain registered the fact that the bell had gone two minutes ago.

"Oh my god, we need to get to class!" I started panicking as I zipped up my bag.

"Your right let's go."

Together we headed out the door. I was glad to have finally made a friend of my own.