DB, Attempt One, Prologue

P

My heart warmed at the sight of my baby sister curled up beside me with her little straw doll, fast asleep. She looked so relaxed, not trying so hard to put on the mask she has whenever mother tries to mature her.

I carefully picked her up and carried her to her room. She was still wearing the training corset mother put her in, so I gently untied it and slipped it off of her. The back of her shirt accidentally came up and I saw the raw red skin that was her back. I took my shirt off, and swapped it for hers so she could have something loose to sleep in. Then I finally tucked her into bed, and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

I sat on the front steps, carefully playing with the note. I've been planing to run away for years, and tonight was the night I was going to do it. Mother was trying to force me into becoming a knight, and if I didn't leave now I would eventually be killed no matter what. This way I could say goodbye to Madlynn.

"You could take her with you." My selfish side whispered. But I couldn't. She was only twelve. I know mother would push her harder, but she would have a life. I could come back for her in a few years.

I had to leave tonight. If didn't, they would come to take me to the camps and my fate would be sealed. The only way you could escape becoming a knight was running, or dying.

"Blake?" Philip, our servant, came outside the house. He was only 14, though he was most likely smarter than me. "Why are you outside? It's getting late."

"I'm leaving." I stated calmly, though I still hadn't made up my mind. If I didn't go now, I wouldn't at all.

"Leaving? For good? But I thought-"

"Give this to Mads. Please." I thrusted the note into his hand. "I don't want her to think I disappeared."

"I-I don't think I can do that." He said trying to give it back to me.

"Please." I begged. Suddenly, pain rocketed through my head, and I collapsed in pain. Philip stared at me in horror.

"Blake?" His voice was in panic as I clutched my head, writhing on the ground in pain. He dropped the note, then bolted toward his hut not looking back.

"Please." I tried to call after him with the little I had left but it came out as a whisper as my vision was going black. I want worried about the pain or what had just happened, I was just worried about if the note would get to her.