A Little Peace

Sleep doesn't come easy for you...but it comes.  Eventually.

Thankfully, he waits for you to fall asleep before climbing into bed.  You try not to keep him waiting too long.  But you're restless.  You're still digesting the day's events.  You're still unsure of what will happen next - if you're doing the right thing. 

You're still terrified of Gabriel.

You're still unsure of what to make of Eli.

You still don't know what will happen next.

But soon, sleep becomes more important than fear and uncertainty.  Sleep comes everything.  The darkness comes as you slip into unconsciousness, into the place where dreams may come. 

You pray for peace as the world around you fades out.

------

He's speeding down the street with no regard for traffic.  The needle on the speedometer steadily makes it way from the left to the right.  You're panicking...and you've got nowhere to run.  You feel like impending doom is sitting down on your chest. 

You're so panicked that you can't scream - all you do is cry.

Meanwhile, he won't even look at you.  His eyes are firmly on the road, looking for that final destination.  He's already told you why he's doing this...it's what you deserve.  It's what both of you deserve. 

You don't love him...you never loved him.  You treated him like shit.  You could never understand how much he loves you, how he does the things he does for your own good. 

You've pushed him too far now.  You've really done it.  He has no choice now.  This is for the best.

If he can't have you...no one can.

You're begging...you pleading.  Finally, you find your vocal cords - you demand that he stop the car.  You beg him not to do this.  But he's deaf to you now.  He's going to do what he's going to do, and you just have to deal with it.

No. No. No. No. NO!

Everything whizzes by in a blur...and then, when the two of you hit that upward slope, time slows down.  Your moment of clarity arrives...and you're nothing but remorseful.  You think of everything that brought you to this point in time, and you are filled with the pain of regret, and mourn for this life, fraught with hardships and disappointments. You wish you could have done things differently...but you understand that it's too late for you now.  So all you can do is close your eyes and let the tears roll down your face, and pray for your soul to be taken, as you've already experienced enough pain in your short life time.

In that one split second, before the front bumper makes contact with the wall, you succumb to fate with one final thought...

I love you...please forgive me...

You think this in vain, as no one meaningful will hear it.

Life ends with a thunderous crash and the splinter of glass moving sideways....

Everything goes dark...and silent.

------

Your body convulses as you awaken from you dream with a gasp. 

Your heart flutters against your ribcage, restricted with your terror.  The sweat is cold and heavy on your brow.  Your tense, uneasy, and afraid.  Even as the images of a gruesome demise fade away into the early morning, the nightmare you had still haunts you.