A change in Scenery and Some Old Faces

I look down at my phone, 4:30 pm. Great, Klaus promised I could go into town today. Now I only have a few daylight hours left. I understand why I can't go out at night. That's when all the monsters come out. It still sucks though.

"Camille?" I hear Klaus yell. Better be some release papers.

"Yes!" He walks into the room wearing a baseball cap and washed-out baggy jeans. "Seriously?"

He grins at me, "What? I thought I should blend in!" I throw a pillow at him.

"You said I could go out...by MYSELF!" He smiles.

"I thought you might want some company." unbelievable.

"So you thought you, the person who is hated, is the person I am safest around?" His smile falters.

He clears his throat. "I admit it may not seem to make much sense now." He smiles again. "But I can assure you I'll watch from afar." I groan and walk out. "Come on Camille it will be alright." I walk into the kitchen and grab out a vervain-filled needle. I turn back and look at him, placing it by my neck. He looks pained. It doesn't hurt that much. "You don't have to do that. I'd be there to protect you."

"So what does it matter?" I pause. "Isn't my safety worth a backup?" He sighs. I can see I've won. I empty the needle into my jugular. "Come on then." We walk out of the house and into his black Chevy. "I've never liked back cars. They look too suspicious". He smirks. We drive in silence before he parks the car a block from city centre.

"Let's discuss some rules." I groan. "Rule number one: Don't talk to anyone unless they approach you. Leave your bartender-ness in the car."

"What if I'm in a shop, can I not talk to the clerk?"

"Fine. Okay, rule number two: Don't look for me, I'll be there. You'll look suspicious and draw attention to your self. Speaking of that, rule number three: Don't draw attention to yourself."

"Is that all?" I smirk. "No long list, perhaps a scroll?" He squints his eyes at me in a playful way. Then shoves me out of the car.

"Meet me in the car by 7 okay?"

"Fine." I grab my phone and wallet from the glovebox. I turn round the corner and I hear the car door slam. There's my stalker. I walk down the street and into 'The Grill'. It's nice, reminds me of Rousseau's. I sit at the bar and order a beer from a guy called Matt.

"You're a new face!" I turn round to see who is talking to me. "I'm Caroline, where are you from?" 'Caroline' is a 19-year-old girl with long blonde hair and heart-shaped eyes.

"Atlanta Georgia," I say, repeating what Klaus told me. "I'm Cami." Caroline smiles.

"So anyway Elena and I were wondering -Elena?" She looks around and grabs a brunette that was talking to Matt. My heart stops when I see her face, Katherine's face. She looks surprised to see me then regains her smile. She looks imploringly at Caroline.

"Caroline I thought we were going to stop roping strangers into our parties?" She turns round to me and smiles

"Hey, I'm Elena."