Wings Chapter 1

The sound of the doorbell made Cleo look up from her iPod. She sighed. Rage comics would have to wait. She got up from the couch and yelled, “I’ll get it!” Cleo walked toward the door, letting herself slouch as much as her bones would allow. Her appearance didn’t matter at the moment and she honestly didn’t care who was at the door unless it was Basshunter or Dahvie Vanity.  It also didn’t help that she was wearing a baggy t-shirt that nearly covered her shorts.

Cleo stepped back a little when she opened the door. It was Jazlyn, a girl who was only in one of her classes. Cleo had talked to her before and they greeted each other in the hallway but she was the last person Cleo expected to see on her doorstep.

                “Hey, dude,” she said with a big smile on her face.

                “Um, hi,” Cleo said feeling very confused. Jazlyn stepped inside. “Um watcha doing here?” Cleo asked.

                “Well Danny told me about this legend last night and we decided to do some research for the fun of it and we discovered that it all leads back to your house!” she said as if that explained everything. Cleo stood there for a second as she took it all in.

                “Wait, what is this legend?” she finally said after thinking about it.

                “The legend of the winged children, duh,” said Jazlyn as she opened a notebook she was holding, “You see, your house is on top of the world’s most abundant supply of Metallic-Boil-Flood.” Jazlyn looked at Cleo for a response. Cleo just stood there with a face that read ‘what the hell are you talking about?’ Jazlyn sighed. “How old is your house?”

                “I don’t know, like two hundred years or something,” Cleo said pulling a number off the top of her head.

                “Your house has been passed down in your family for generations, right?” Jazlyn asked. Cleo raised her eyebrow.

                “How did you know that?” she asked, suspicious. Was she stalking her? Cleo looked around for a hidden camera or something. Jazlyn smiled again. She grabbed Cleo’s wrist and pulled her down to the basement. Jazlyn started looking around for something. Cleo just stood there, frozen by mass confusion.

                “Do you have a storage room or something down here?” Jazlyn asked.

                “There’s one over here,” Cleo said as she walked over to a door on the far side of the basement. She and Jazlyn went inside and started looking for what Jazlyn called a ‘secret passage’. Cleo had never believed in that sort of nonsense. Legends were just stories that gave depressed people something to believe in. Jazlyn on the other hand seemed almost too excited.

                After ten minutes of searching, they were ready to give up.

                “I don’t get it, there should be something down here, how else could he get to the secret lab?” Cleo rolled her eyes.

                “Maybe that’s because there is no secret lab,” Cleo suggested. Cleo ended up leading a very disappointed Jazlyn to the door. “Well, I’ll see you around I guess,” said Cleo.

                “Yeah,” said Jazlyn sadly as she turned to walk away. Cleo shut the door and walked back over to the couch. That was weird. Cleo only had time to unlock her iPod before Jazlyn was knocking on the door again. Cleo opened the door and was immediately dragged outside to the front of her garage. “You see this,” Jazlyn said pointing at the passcode device on the side of the wall, “This is the key to the secret entrance.”