Wings Chapter 2

Cleo yawned as she got out of bed. She analyzed yesterday’s events. Jazlyn appeared at her door, they found a secret lab and they drank a potion that had done nothing. It could have been a dream but Cleo didn’t usually have very vivid or complex dreams.

                She pulled her arms forward, stretching out her shoulder blades. She suddenly realized her back felt rather heavy today. It almost felt like she was holding something on it. She probably had just slept funny. She reached behind her to give her back a massage but instead of feeling her shirt, she felt something smooth and thin. It felt almost like… feathers?

                “What the…” she said, standing up. She walked over to her mirror and viewed herself from the side. She stared in astonishment. She was carrying something on her back, wings. She rubbed her eyes. The wings were still there. She tried pinching herself. Nothing changed. “I have wings,” she said by accident. She covered her mouth and looked around. She didn’t want to wake anyone up. Then she remembered her parents were at work, no one to be quiet for.

                Cleo opened her wings to examine them. It felt weird to move them. It was like twisting her shoulder blades in weird directions except without pain. Her wings were a pretty red colour with a jagged line of white feathers along the middle. She tried moving her wings around, experimenting with how they moved.    

                Pop! Her Skype went off. Cleo whipped her head around. It must have been Jazlyn. Cleo walked to her computer and read the message. ‘Please tell me it happened to you too’. Cleo typed a reply. ‘I hope you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about’. She got a reply almost immediately. ‘I’m coming over’.

                “What?!” Cleo said in surprise. She was just going to come over? Without even asking? Cleo decided that with Jazlyn’s ‘right now’ personality, there was no point in trying to stop her. Cleo got dressed quickly and made herself breakfast. Both her parents were working today so she was alone and it was a good thing too since Jazlyn was practically sneaking over. Cleo got dressed and did her hair.  

                The doorbell rang. That was fast. Cleo ran to the door and flung it open. Jazlyn smiled and stepped inside. Cleo examined her but didn’t see any wings. She was even wearing a backpack and her wings would be crushed under that.

                “Wow yours are pretty, want to see mine?” Jazlyn asked. Cleo nodded, hoping she was talking about her wings. Jazlyn took off her backpack to reveal purple feathered wings with a jagged line of green feathers along the middle.

                “Wait, how did you fit those under your backpack?” Cleo asked immediately. Jazlyn turned her backpack around to show Cleo. The backpack had the entire back side cut off.

                “I couldn’t just go out in public with wings,” Jazlyn explained, “I could fold up my wings and fit them in here, so it just looks like I’m wearing a backpack.”

                “That’s great but what kid wears a backpack during summer vacation?” Cleo pointed out.

 Jazlyn nodded.

                “I was kind of hoping we could find a better way to hide them,” she said, stepping into the house.

                “Um where do live cause that was really fast,” Cleo said awkwardly.

                “Oh just down the block. You know the pathway down the road?” Cleo nodded. “I live on the other end of that path,” she said as she walked further into the house. Cleo followed her into the kitchen. Her stomach growled and she realized how hungry she was.