Her Moment

I made my way to the reception. Avery did say she only had morning shifts. She should be here right? Ehh

"Hi. I heard that there is an interview going on for-" I started.

"Sorry, Not accepting any more applicants. Try next time." Said the snobby woman, interrupting me.

"But Avery sent me." I say panicking to not have her kick me out.

"She Sent  you? Um ok. Wait a minute. I'll get back to you." She suddenly changed her tone. Huh. She actually surprised me. I wonder why hearing Avery's name made such an impact on her behaviour. towards me. The woman at the reception began dialling a number on the phone.

"Sera, How many are left? There's one here without an appointment... uhuh uhhuh yep sure ok." She ended the call.

"6th floor.Third room to the left. Your lucky Mr. Rivers has just about the time to see you." She immediately returned to face the computer, assessing what was on it, dismissing me.

I wanted to scream I'M NOT DESPERATE FOR THIS JOB SO GO TO HELL! But in reality, I really am. For any type of decent job.

Suck it up and move on; my motto nowadays.

I headed for the lift opposite the entrance and pushed the calling button.

Moments after, I stepped out of the lift on to the 6th floor. What was I expecting. Honestly I don't know. Maybe a long queue with people in formal attire - mostly men.

But no. As a get to the makeshift reception table I see a reasonable queue with hardly a few men and many women. That too in some sort of revealing clothing item - yet businesslike excluding  one of them.

"I assume you're who Calla was referring to?" Asked a woman not much older than me.

Calla? Oh the receptionist.

"Yes"

She looked me up and down then back up to my face. "You won't do. One look at you and I can sense disaster. Look at your clothing. You know what, I'm not hiring - Mr.Rivers is. So just get in the queue and wait for your turn." Her name. What's her name?  Seraphina, read on her name tag.

How dare she. She's going to find a complaint coming her way.

After waiting in the queue for a good hour and a half, I was the next to be called up.

"Aprilynn Wellsmith.  You may go inside now." Said a member of staff.

Since I have no files or the need to smooth out my business clothes, I simply grabbed my handbag, got up and entered the Interview room. There's nothing for me to lose. Head held high, I open the door, turn and close it.

Facing the opposite of the door is a huge wall size glass. The scenery is so beautiful due to the national park. The room is a conference room. I walked towards a figure typing away on the laptop, on the left of the room.

Another person was beside them. When did Seraphina join in with the Interviews?

Like I give a crap.  Leaving behind in the meeting table, I stood over main desk and sat down.

A man, I suppose 'Mr.Rivers' was sitting directly in front of me and Sera...whatever was on his left.

Both heads were down.

"Ahemm" I cleared my throat wanting to get there attention. Hi didn't seem like a good way to start so I would just let them take the lead. I don't want to mess up.

After a few minutes, I've had enough.

"It would be nice If you would acknowledge me you know. That's disrespectful. I've been waiting for almost 2 hours and this is what I get. I'm here to apply for a job. If I'm not treated right, then something is wrong in your customer service - I know I'm not a customer but still, I'm a person and a possible future customer. If you make me happy, I can make you happy. I get the job and you get an excellent employee." I spoke raising my voice a tiny notch higher than usual.

I looked back up and was met with Pure Black eyes. The darkest of darkest. Now, I'm not going to go all goo - goo gaa- gaa over him. No way. I'm not. Honestly. Ok he may have nice short black hair and strong sharp cheekbones and... no. I'm here for a job. Full stop.

I see a surprised and amused emotion in his eyes, mouth starting to twitch upwards. He managed to control it.

Rather than answering me, he speaks to her. "Are there any more left?"

What the hell? I waited for 2 hours and he is rejecting me without questioning me? This is not right.

"What?! You can't just reject me without knowing anything about me. I have a Btec in Tourism which includes event planning and I'm good with it. I ..." I stumbled.

" No. She was the last. Without an appointment may I add." Sera informed him too well.

"I see. Okay. Send out the letters tomorrow. Cancel tomorrow's three interviews. We've found who we were looking for. " He's dark intense eyes bore right into mine for a split second before  I couldn't take it and looked at Sera instead.

"We didn't get to our introductions but I guess you know my name. What's your's?" So he's cocky. Not going to go down well with me.

"Aprilynn Wellsmith.  19. Tourism Graduate and I live 20 mins away." I said without thinking. He smirked.

I blushed a little, realising my mistake.

"Oh no. Not in that sense. I meant it wouldn't be difficult for me to make my way here and back at any given time. So am I hired or not?".

"Straight forward. I like that. Fierce. Outspoken and determined. Great qualities. But I don't see it in your appearance. You look bland." He simply stated.  Wow. A compliment and an insult. Two in one. Like buy one get one free. He gave me a once over from head to toe and then back up.

"You've no right to criticise my dressing sense. I mean here to do a job - not change who I am besides I only found out about this vacancy a few hours ago and came straight here - walking in the rain."

"Yes, I'm aware Avery invited you. A great decision she made because you've got the job. Congratulations." His smile reflected a slight deviousness.  "I must thank Avery for this kind gesture towards the company. It will help a lot of people such as myself." 

He left me speechless. What just happened? "err Thank you. But how and why did I get it?" I need to know if my job is guaranteed.  They could always kick me out the way the hired on the spot. If that is so, then it's very unprofessional.

Woah.  I'm 19 and I have landed a job as a PA for the rich. If it were the old me, I would be over the moon to be working for a millionaire family and now I still am but for different reasons; I don't have to worry about finance income or worry over anything else.

This job will help me start to rebuild my life. Nowhere near my old one but something close to it with happiness and success.

I just have to guard myself around my boss; especially his hypnotic eyes.