Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve – The Hint of Spring

Fortunately, the cut healed within a week, leaving behind a faint scar. The palace launched an investigation into the mysterious death of the man found frozen in the river. They found darts laced with poison and a dagger discovered in the vicinity of the stable. Xiao Xiao was also questioned and she tried to answer truthfully, omitting the part where she turned into a dragon. Ming Zhu sniggered somewhere in her mind, amused by the whole process.

The wait was almost over. Xiao Xiao was delighted to find tiny green leaves emerging from one of the cherry trees in the courtyard. New-found energy coursed through the entire palace, the lethargy of winter finally jolted awake by the burst of activity: maids began spring-cleaning the chambers. Floors were washed, windows were polished, old clothing were removed and given away. This was also the time where old debts were settled as it was considered bad luck to carry the debts over to the new year.

While the snow melted, the preparations for Spring Festival started with gusto. Fresh food was procured from the market, with the tribute of rice from the nearby rice fields and poultry and wild game brought in by the cages. Carp, plump and silvery, was delivered to the kitchen, still splashing in their large urns.

Sweets were being made too: glutinous rice balls, preserved legs of ham and choice cut of meat, and platters of nian gao, New Year cakes, steamed in the big bamboo steamers. Candied kumquats were taken out from the cellars where they had been kept during the winter. There were bottles of good wine, high quality baijiu, ready for the numerous banquets later.

As a child in the palace, Xiao Xiao was forbidden to drink. But she couldn’t resist a sip from her mother’s wine cup. The distilled spirit burned as it flowed down her throat. From that day onwards, Xiao Xiao avoided wine.

Spring was approaching. Change was afoot.