Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine – The Winter Solstice Festival

Right before the Winter Solstice, Dong Zhi, the coldest and darkest night of the year, the Empress of the West Palace announced proudly that she finally “you le”, meaning that she was pregnant. Emperor Qianlong sent obligatory gifts to the palace where she had been residing at, since the first assassination attempt. At the same time, the son of the Empress of the East Palace grew strong and big, a source of joy for his mother. A little prince much pampered by his maids and servants.

Xiao Xin too had begun to walk, toddling on chubby legs, assisted by anxious maids. There were no more attempts on their lives and the days passed peacefully.

The kitchen staff busied themselves with the making of tang yuan, glutinous rice balls colored white and pink. Another section folded and grilled jiao zi. Steam rose from various bamboo steamers, curling into the cold winter air. While the servants dished out plates of golden-brown dumplings filled with juicy meat and chopped chives, it had started to blizzard. White crusted the bare cherry branches.

Xiao Xiao looked forward to the tang yuan, often served in a sweet soup, and crab apples soaked in syrup. The crab apples were a special treat, harvested and preserved in the summer. She knew that the City vendors sold bin tang hu lu, candied hawthorn on sticks. She had servant go out and buy a few sticks for her when she was much younger. But as she got older, she found the tart-sweet crab apples more delicious.

~*~

Tang yuan was best enjoyed when the air was the coldest and when everyone sat together at the table. Xiao Xiao savored the balls of pink and white, enjoying the chewiness of the dessert.

Within her, Ming Zhu stirred. The dragon princess “watched” her, Xiao Xiao realized, vicariously taking part in the various festivities. Was the dragon king’s palace truly that devoid of joy and fun? Surely they celebrated similar festivals. Xiao Xiao resolved to ask Ming Zhu more. Yet Ming Zhu had chosen to remain reticent.

They lit fireworks that brightened the dark winter sky. The court gathered to watch. Very soon, it would be Chun Jie, Spring Festival.

The blizzard grew thicker and heavy snow flakes coated the palace grounds. Servants heaped wood into the braziers that kept the chambers warm. Xiao Xiao shivered, her arms in rabbit fur mufflers. Xiao Xin cooed at the snow flakes and tried to bat one that came too close.

Winter had arrived.

~*~

“Take this,” the shadowy man said. “Obey the mistress. Obey her instructions.”

A lankier shadow detached itself from the dark alley. Its feet sank into white snow. In the distance, music played and rough voices sang rude songs.

“That would be enough for you,” the man continued.

The lanky shadow turned to go. It hated being spotted. It was a hunter and hunters like the dark.

“And oh, happy Dong Zhi.”

Shrugging, the shadow slunk back into the alley.