CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

Shades POV:  flashback

"Please?" begged Damian"you know that I can't do it alone" he whined.

"Alright fine" I finally agreed "but father can never find out" I concluded, looking down at my little brother's now happier face.

Our village was made up of witches and warlocks that studied the old ways, this meant that they also followed old teachings which included myths about dragons being dark and vile creatures that would only bring pain and suffering upon us, because of this the whole village hated the dragon riders and had the rule to kill both beast and rider if they were to cross into the village boundaries.

My brother had happened to stumble upon a shot down dragon, leaving the rider to pass him an egg which hatched upon his touch, proving his dragon rider blood. The village had no knowledge of this fact as we did well to conceal it, but they planned on killing the baby dragon which would mean that Damian would suffer great emotional pain.

"How are we going to rescue him?" asked Damian, his wide hazel eyes shining up at me.

"Him, how do you know it's a him?" I questioned, raising one of my eyebrows.

"I just...know," he said, looking at the ground in concentration "oh, and his name is Rockey!" he exclaimed, bringing his gaze back up from the ground.

"How creative" I sighed sarcastically, ruffling his chocolate brown hair.

"Hey!" he shouted, punching me lightly in the chest.

I laughed at his behaviour and sat down on the grass to think of a plan. If we were caught the punishment would be most definitely be death, they didn't care how old we were, they stated that rules were rules and must be upheld at all times. Besides, our father was ruthless at the best of times so I dreaded to think what he would have to say about Damian's dragon rider side.

"You stay here" I commanded, getting to my feet.

"Why? I want to help" he complained.

"Just trust me" I pleaded.

"Ok" he replied plainly.

I nodded my head and begun to walk away when he stopped me.

"Hey Shade?" he questioned, causing me to turn around to face him.

"Yeah?" I questioned when he didn't continue.

"How come your eyes are not like ours?" he asked, his features filled with curiosity.

"What do you mean?" I replied, a bit taken back by the sudden question.

"Well our whole families eye colours are shades of brown, but your eyes are pure gold" he explained.

"I don't know why" I replied, not really knowing what else to say. "If you want to see the dragon, meet me in the eastern forest" I finished, causing his face to light up.

He nodded his head and sat back down on the grass, he was such a smart and curious child, that's part of the reason why he was always getting into trouble.

 I jogged over to the stone prison building and discretely pinpointed the guard's positions, noticing that there was an unguarded window on the top floor. 

I swiftly ran around the side of the building and scaled the stone wall, it wasn't actually that hard considering that its old stone structure left plenty of foot holes. I quietly pulled myself through the window and moved across the room with my back to the wall. I suspected that they were holding the dragon in one of the steel cages on the second floor, probably wanting to give it a public execution to show off their power.